4309 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP-UX: an i386 equivalent?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tom Van Gramberen

HP-UX: an i386 equivalent?

We are migrating from a Windows/Oracle environment to a HP-UX/Oracle environment. As we don't have the HP-UX server yet, I would like to start some testing on an i386 platform.

Which UNIX, *BSD, Linux, ... OS for the i386 platform is the closest free alternative/equivalent to HP-UX?
8 REPLIES 8
Shaikh Imran
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HP-UX: an i386 equivalent?

Hi,
First of all Welcome to the group of HP-UX.
I don't think there is any O.S. closest to HP-Unix on X86.
But you may find come features of RAID,LVM and mirroring in SUSE Linux 7.2.
These features talk about LVM,RAID and mirroring but the commands are very different for HP-Ux.

Regards,

I'll sleep when i am dead.
KapilRaj
Honored Contributor

In fact thetre is nothing equivalent to HPUX for me !! though somebody else may have a diff openion.
Take my word it is really really gre8!! and u will no longer tend to use Windos !

One more advantage is that HP has something like ITRC forums and KD which nobody else has !

Regds,

Kaps
Nothing is impossible
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Hi Tom,

If you plan to realy test HPUX, I would advice you to buy a referbished/used PARISC workstation. A used worstation can be bought for about $ 300. Just check below link for those workstation which can run 11.11.

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/pf-new.cgi?IN=/workstations/risc/standard/operating/support_matrix/update.html

Hope this helps,
Robert-Jan
Mark Grant
Honored Contributor

I agree with Robert-Jan but in case you can't do this then get yourself a linux box and make sure you install LVM. The LVM commands are the ones that bother people the most to start with and on Linux they are almost exactly the same as on HPUX.

The only commonly used things that HPUX has that Linux doesn't is "ioscan" and some minor details with regards to options on other commands.

Linux distributions tend to come with their own proprietry wrappers around standard unix commands and config files in order to make it "easier" to administrate. If you avoid these and use the underlying commands instead, you will notice very little difference when you move to HPUX.
Never preceed any demonstration with anything more predictive than "watch this"
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Tom Van Gramberen

Wow... thanks guys for the fast replies. I will see if I can find a second hand HP-UX workstation in Belgium (or somewhere in Europe).

But to come back to the i386 platform, would SUSE Linux use the same format for the INIT scripts? I always thought that a *BSD version is closer to UNIX then any Linux version. For INIT scripts and commands.

All thoughts are welcome...
dirk dierickx
Honored Contributor

I think BSD is closer to HPUX then linux is. The least you can say is that they HPUX and BSD both share the same origin. While linux is created to be a look-alike-unix but it is not (but comes close enough).
Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, there is no Oracle for *BSD, BeOS and so on.

In fact, I recommend to check if your project *really* need high-level HPUX features.

Linux on x86 [RH Enterprise Linux and Suse Enterprise Server, for example ] is mature enough for enterprise, Oracle works well on Linux.

and you can save many $$ by bying x86 servers instead PA RISC.

And yes, there are few ITRC Linux forums too :-)

Vitaly Karasik, RHCE