I itied init q also . Still not able to login to OS

No error nothing displaying in console

Please some one help me to solve this

11 REPLIES 11
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: HP UX : console is hung

Hi:

This has nothing to do with 'getty' or your 'inittab' if your server boots without complaint.  How are you logging in --- at the console; by a telnet connection; by a ssh connection?

Do you have a '/etc/securetty' file?  If so, look at its contents.  If "console" isn't listed as one of the lines, then root cannot login.  Add a "console" entry to allow it.

If your connection is an SSH one, look at the 'sshd_config' file for the 'PermitRootLogin' directive and it's setting.

Regards!

...JRF...

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

If you're using a local serial-connected terminal/emulator, be advised that the rx8640 can have two identical Core I/O cards and thus two console port connectors. Only one of them will be active. Make sure you've connected your cable to the correct Core I/O card: I think they have LEDs to indicate which one is active.

The iLO MP (Management Processor) that controls the console might also be hung. Press Ctrl-B when connected to the console. If you can access the MP menus this way, try CM (Command Menu) -> XD (MP diagnostics) -> R (MP reset). This can be done safely while the OS is running.

If you cannot even access the MP menus, look for the MP reset button in the core I/O card.

MK
joseph51
Regular Advisor

Hi All

I am able to access to MP . Only Proble I cannot login to OS for a particular vpar . For the other vpars in the same Npar I am able to login to OS from Console

This was working fine when I checked few days back

Now when I checked I am not able to able to login to console . I am accessing the server via telnet .

When I checked in other server I could see that the process getty  the ower of process as console . Here as per the output instead of console its only shows "?"

joseph51
Regular Advisor

In addition to the above point . I mention the owner of process . Actually its not owner . the terminal is shows ? instead of console
This is the output from other server for the same process
root@s123:/ : ps -ef | grep -i getty
root 20092 1 0 20:40:06 console 0:00 /usr/sbin/getty console console
root 20217 13016 1 20:40:24 pts/3 0:00 grep -i getty
root@s123:/ :

singh sanjeev
Trusted Contributor

Have tried to do the switching between the vpar at console by crtl+a
Sanjeev Singh
joseph51
Regular Advisor

yes the vpar switching is working .

and I am able to login to OS of other vpar also

joseph51
Regular Advisor

HEre is the output from console . only this I am getting . Not able to login from there

GenericSysName [HP Release B.11.23] (see /etc/issue)
Console Login:
[sghar]

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>GenericSysName [HP Release B.11.23] (see /etc/issue)

If you aren't worried too much about security, you might want to update /etc/issue to mention the name of the system, so you can make sure you are talking to the right system.

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Normally, init should automatically restart the getty process on the console if it gets killed. So if your console getty looks suspicious, you can kill it and wait for init to restart it.

If the restart does not happen, then something is very wrong with the system: either /etc/inittab is broken, or the init process is in an unhealthy state. Has someone modified /etc/inittab recently? What is the output of "ps -fp 1"?

If the init process is hung or killed, a reboot is the surest way to cure the problem. But init is very robust and should never die randomly: is this vPar up to date with patches? Has this vPar had a critical shortage of RAM since it was last rebooted? Does the "dmesg" listing contain anything that looks like a possible hardware issue or other serious problem?

MK