Operating System - HP-UX
1752806 Members
6549 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP-UX cross platform migration / HP 9000 to Itanium (RP7420 to RX2800)

Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

HP-UX cross platform migration / HP 9000 to Itanium (RP7420 to RX2800)

I'm trying to find a little guidance. There is a user that has a 9000 RP7420 running 11i v1 / 11.11 and they want to migrate to RX2800 i4 running 11i v3 / 11.31.

What currently out there would be the best migration tool or service to do this?

2 REPLIES 2

Hi Jesse,

This depends on what the customer is running on the server. If the app they are running is 100% compatible with the IA version of HP-UX11.31 then as there is 100% compatability of data at rest, just moving the apps data across and then installing fresh IA binaries should be enough (so for example Oracle 10gR2 was supported on 11.11/PA and 11.31/IA so you could just copy across the oracle datafiles/logs/control files etc and then install the exact same version of the database and start the database)

If there isn't this compatability, then probably the best way to do this is using HP9000 Containers which create an emulation environment around the old 11.11 OS and application so you don't have to change them. Full details in this manual here: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=c03147980

If the app is *really* simple (like say just 1 binary, 1 library and a few config/data files), you could just copy the app across as is and try and start it - the ARIES emulation capability in the IA version of HP-UX will allow you to run most PA binaries without a problem.

If this is really complex or you/your customer don't have the skills, it's always better to engage HPE PointNext services organisation to build a custom scope of work for a migration.

Well done on getting a supply of rx2800s i4/i6! They are a bit like hen's teeth now!

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
KishJ
HPE Pro

Greetings,

Usually migration from HP9000 PA-RISC to IA platform requires HP-UX Containers (formerly Secure Resource Parititions(SRP)). It uses a software called ARIES to emulate 9k environment on an IA platform to host PA-based Apps. You may find al documentation at this link - www.hpe.com/info/hpux-srp-docs.

Hope it helps.

I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo