1752786 Members
5577 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP-UX on 857/I30

Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

HP-UX on 857/I30

Ok.... I know (I think) what the official HP answer to this question is. I'm not interested in that, I am just curious if what I am asking will work at all.... Now without further ado, here's the question:

I have an old boat anchor.....I mean 857S (or I30 whichever you prefer) that had it's boot drive die. Fortunately this machine is not in production and has nothing running on it so I can play till my hearts content. What I am curious about is will HP-UX 11.11 run on this? Will the install CD even boot on this machine? I am just curious if I should even try to install 11.11 when I get my CDs.

Anybody want to buy this machine for a museum they may have? :)
6 REPLIES 6
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: HP-UX on 857/I30

Darn it!!!! I didn't want this in the databases category! Sorry!
Tim Malnati
Honored Contributor

There are thousands of G, H, and I 30 thru 70 boxes still out there. It still makes a good test box or utility server.

I got the impression that 11.11 is a superset of 11.0 with some with some additional support for the big servers and a variety of updated utilities. My GUESS is that it should work. With K's and D's still shipping, I can't imagine HP stripping out all the HP-PB stuff or making it only pa2 compatable. But as we all know HP has certainly done some dumb things with os support before.
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

Patrick
go take a look at :
http://devresource.hp.com/STK/hpux_faq.html/#C1

Sadly it seems that the Nova range (8x7, F, G, H, and I class) are NOT supported at 11.i (11.11).
Sad that, as they were really good systems.
That does not meand to say they won't work, but that there is no support. My personal opinion, of course.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Thanks Tim and Melvyn. I guess I'll just give 11.11 a try on that machine when I get my CDs this week and see how it goes. I'll post results here. If it does install, I will be curious about the performance on this box. It probably won't be great.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

I got my 11.11 (aka 11i) CDs in today. I didn't have much else going on so I went ahead and tried install it on my 857/I30 (whatever you want to call it). Guess what?!? It worked!!! While it is not an "officially" supported machine for 11i, it did install and it is up and running.

The OS media now comes on 2 CDs, and the installation does require BOTH CDs. I switched to the 2nd CD before I left the office this afternoon, and it appears that the install finished about 2 hours later. Total installation time was about 4 hours on this machine. This does not count installing any patch bundles or anything, this is just the base installation.

I thought y'all might be interrested, just in case someone else has a similar machine that they want to run 11i on at their own risk.
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

Good one.
As I said, not supported, but as usual that does not necessarily mean it won't work :-}
have fun.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!