1752280 Members
4472 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP-UX to Linux Migration

dashby61
Occasional Contributor

HP-UX to Linux Migration

Can anyone recommend a partner experienced in migrating from HP-UX to Linux? We have an account that is interested in doing just that, but we don't have the in-house expertise.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor

Re: HP-UX to Linux Migration

You really don't convert systems from HP-UX to Linux. You build new systems and migrate data and functionality. But I knew what you meant.

I've been in a number of situations like this and in some cases the "conversion" was called off.

Yes, HP-UX hardware costs more. However HP-UX hardware does more than typical Wintel hardware. An Itanium based system will run circles around a similarly configured Wintel Linux system. You get more bang for your buck.

You will probably need MORE Wintel CPU's on Linux to do the same amount of work the HP-UX oracle server. Oracle's pricing model is $40,000/CPU and it does not take into account CPU strength.

So where this works best for cost savings us under utilized systems. But a possible good alternative is HPVM. It will let you run HP-UX, Linux and Windows on the same hardware and allocate CPU in chunks as small as 1% of a CPU. A careful consolidation can save you a lot in licensing fees.

I would urge a good analysis be done. How much money will be saved, how much will have to be spent to get equivalent levels of service and license fees.

I Haq
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

I hope the below link will help you.

https://communities.sas.com/t5/Administration-and-Deployment/Moving-from-HP-UX-to-Linux/td-p/659163

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below and accept the solution.
Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

I would suggest, you have to log a proper case with HPE, and share the appropriate logs for further analysis.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below and accept the solution.

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

dashby61
Occasional Contributor

Sanjeev, it's not a support issue, but a migration from HP-UX to Linux, and from Itanium to x86. We are just looking for someone with expertise -- either an HPE partner or possibly HPE Pointnext -- with experience doing it and who could function as a PS resource for us.

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

I can understand but after that I would suggest, you have to log a proper case with HPE,They will guide you how to do.
HPE has expert for this.

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.

Accept or Kudo