108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP-UX update

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

...and I forgot to say follow the solid advice of M Kapala - make a recovery tape or recovery ignite version BEFORE you start.

/rcw
Jozef_Novak
Respected Contributor

Okay maybe I did not make myself clear enough. PATCHES ALONE WILL NEVER bring an operating system to a NEWER RELEASE. They might enable functionality in particular binaries or update programs but the OE as a whole WON'T get updated. This means that your application will not get its requirement satisfied if you just apply a QPK. On the other hand, update-ux installs QPK bundles as a part of the update process.

J.
Ignite_2
Frequent Advisor

Hello,

So I just need to make an Ignite backup and run update-ux? The filesystem layout, device files and installed sw will remain on system?
Jozef_Novak
Respected Contributor

Yes this is correct. The advantage of update-ux is that it retains you complete configuration, filesystem layout and installed applications. The purpose of taking Ignite backup is to be on the safe side in case anything goes wrong (one should always have a recent ignite image ready).

J.
Wim Rombauts
Honored Contributor
Solution

I think there is a lot of confusion about "upgrading" from HPUX11i-OE_B.11.23_0606 to HPUX11i-OE_B.11.23_0712.

There is in fact only 1 OS in play here : HP-UX 11i v2 (or 11.23, that's the same).

"Upgrading" from version 0606 to 0712 is nothing more than installing patches and some newer versions of drivers and optional softwares included in the 11.23 OS.

Set a graphical display and do a "swlist -i" on your system. Look for bundle "HPUXBaseOS". It does not have any version except for B.11.23, so you or *NOT* upgrading your OS. You are patching it. But you *CAN* upgrade the drivers and optional softwares.

So, the procedure for going from 0606 to 0712 is exactly the same as when you patch your system : use swinstall.
The difference is that you are not only installing patches, but installing from the HPUX11i-OE_B.11.23_0712 media, and that includes multiple sets of patches, softwares like HP CIFS Server, Ximian Gnome, Java and drivers like GigEther-00, GigEther-01, FibrChanl-00 ...

At least, swinstall is what I allways uised so far in this case.

The tip about taking a good Ignite backup first before upgrading is allways wise.
Jozef_Novak
Respected Contributor

Hello Wim,

from the Installation and update guide:

When a system has HP-UX 11i v2 installed, you can determine which
revision (Release ID) is installed by entering the following command:
/usr/sbin/swlist -l bundle HPUXBaseAux
The HPUXBaseAux bundle indicates the current installed revision level.
The revision level is indicated both in the bundle version number and in
the description text.

So the release is identified according to the BaseAux bundle and not the BaseOS bundle.

My case: both servers were installed using the same media, one of them was later updated to 0712:

the updated server:

root@vl1:(/)#swlist -l bundle HPUXBaseAux
# Initializing...
# Contacting target "vl1"...
#
# Target: vl1:/
#

HPUXBaseAux B.11.23.0712 HP-UX Base OS Auxiliary

The non-updated server:

root@wasp:(/)#swlist -l bundle HPUXBaseAux
# Initializing...
# Contacting target "wasp"...
#
# Target: wasp:/
#

HPUXBaseAux B.11.23.0609 HP-UX Base OS Auxiliary

IMHO, you won't achieve this by pure patching.

J.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Patching will only patch what you currently have, not updating anything (in 11.23 and 11.31).

Updating will install new and updated products, drivers, etc.

If you need to met some requirements (e.g. for HPIVM), you NEED to use update-ux!

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

See this example:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1241964

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Ignite_2
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

thank you all for help. Running the update-ux command, is interactive? Should I prepare some input, which will be required by system?
Jozef_Novak
Respected Contributor

Hello,

complete guide how to update your system can be found here:

http://docs.hp.com/en/5992-1978/5992-1978.pdf

read the procedures carefully and make sure you follow the instructions. Once again, a good backup image is essential to have before you start.

J.