Simpler Navigation coming for Servers and Operating Systems
Coming soon: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We will combine many of the older boards, and you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. If you are looking for an older board and do not find it, check the consolidated boards, as the posts are still there.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP-VTD

kasun_1
Occasional Contributor

HP-VTD

I am having prob with hp-vt service.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan 24 16:00:05 brada4 hp-vtd: Copyright (c) 2005 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.
Jan 24 16:00:05 brada4 hp-vtd: hp-vtd failed to start
Jan 24 16:00:05 brada4 lsb_start_daemon: hp-vtd startup failed
Jan 24 16:00:05 brada4 lsb_log_message: failed
Jan 24 16:00:17 brada4 snmpd[2487]: Received SNMP packet(s) from 172.16.12.91
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

uname -a
Linux brada4 2.6.9-5.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Jan 5 19:29:47 EST 2005 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

what is hp-vt stands for. want to learn about this service. so i can disable it if nobody use it.
2 REPLIES
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: HP-VTD

That's probably "HP Virus Throttle" for RHEL4. It's effectively a network connection rate limiter. The idea is that it slows down the spread of both known & unknown viruses by slowing down outgoing connections to "unfamiliar" destinations.

This is *NOT* a true anti-virus product, just a "damage limiter". If your systems are running in a network that has a high probability to get infected by malware, it might be somewhat useful... but to me, that feels like giving up instead of protecting your systems properly.

MK
MK
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: HP-VTD

I think vtd stands for "Intel Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O"
http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2009/06/25/understanding-vt-d-intel-virtualization-technology-for-directed-io/

On the other hand, here is what vtd means.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=US&swItem=MTX-281410ab146e417aaf3ffd9b17&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3884315

To stop or ignore the message:
# chkconfig hp-vt off
# service hp-vt stop

Hope this info helps you.