Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Virtual Room installation on RHEL 6 x64

SOLVED
Go to solution
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

HP Virtual Room installation on RHEL 6 x64

Hi! (First post :)

Anybody ever tried to install HP Vroom on RHEL 6 x64?

Installation of hpvirtualroom works fine for me (nice green check marks), but then it doesn't open the test room.

If I run ~/.hpvirtualrooms/hpvirtualrooms

First it complained about libXi, so I "rpm -ivh libXi-1.3-3.el6.i686.rpm. Then it complained about libXrandr, so I put in libXrandr-1.3.0-4.el6.i686.rpm. Then it complains about "libglib-2.0.so.0". At which point I'm stuck.

I have "glib2-2.22.5-5.el6 (x86_64)" already.

What should I install? I tried with "glib2-2.22.5-5.el6.i686.rpm". This requires "libfam.so.0" - which I have not been able to find. Well I did find a "gamin-0.1.10-9.fc15.i686.rpm" which has it apparently, but that one requires glib2.. catch 22 ;)

Is it supposed to be this hard?
Could it be unsafe to install them? Like if they overwrite something?
4 REPLIES
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Virtual Room installation on RHEL 6 x64

As a workaround I installed ubuntu 11 in a virtual box VM, installed the desktop and tried to run. The room did not kick start when going through the test page... But the window came when I ran the app by itself.

Worked fine in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS though!

Also, on my main os it was the x64 version I used: hpvirtualrooms-install64-3868.tar.gz
Lucifer Megacruel
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hi Johan,

Generally when a binary is not running well , do
ldd .

to see the dependencies .

glib actually is the gtk library (non gui portion), messing up , changing that will break lot of other applications.

It there is no straight forward way to fix your issue , some general suggestions
a)Get a file system structure with required
libraries and do a chroot into that
and try to run your app.

b) Get the required libc sources and get it compiled ( do not install!) . Then by modifying $LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the new library you can get it running. Or try getting the binary and setting $LD_LIBRARAY_PATH

(c) what you have done is the easiest solution , get a vm with required setup working !

Hope that something in my rambling is of some use to you :) .

Truly Evil
Lucifer Megacruel

"To Denouce the Evils of Truth and Love. To cause may hem and destruction and necromancy , Lucifer is here"
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hello!

Thanks for that, that's a great cli command!

I think I will keep running it in a VM.
Glad I didn't proceed further down that list of libs to install.

Maybe somebody else will find this useful, HP's vroom page was not so clear about this.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

See Lucifer's reply.