1753887 Members
7419 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Wireless Mgr Error

Pat
Honored Contributor

Applications installed after your unit is setup will have to be reinstalled. Such as Norton anti-virus, printer, etc... Documents you wish to save can be copied by using the Backup Feature which should be located in System Tools.

Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Backup

If you don't find Backup listed, then go to;

Start>All Programs>PC Help & Tools (or hewlett packard (HP)depending on units)>Application Recovery

Check install application and click on Next
Look for the Microsoft Value Add folder and check that for installation then click install.

If you cannot locate it there, it will have to be installed from your Recovery CD-Rom.

To manually install Backup:
1. Double-click the Ntbackup.msi file in the following location on the Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM to start a wizard that installs Backup:
CD-ROM Drive:\VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP
2. When the wizard is complete, click Finish.

A CD-Rom allows 700MB of information to be recorded but when backup actually takes place, it will only let 650MB of information be written to CD. I am told a DVD allows more information to be written but am not able to verify since I do not have a DVD drive.

So when you do perform these operations, ensure it is 650MB info per rom or you will not be able to record the information.

Should you wish to save edits you may have made in the Registry, then backup System State. It will be listed when you use the Backup utility.

Pat

George Zhou
Occasional Advisor

Hi, Pat,

I have recoved my notebook, but I met a new problem.

Now, my internet browsing speed is extremely slow. I called cable provoder, they told me that my connection is fine. So, only problem is in my notebook. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

George
Pat
Honored Contributor

Check for spyware or virus. In Tools>Internet options, clear cookies and temporary files as well as history pages.

Click the settings button and lower the temporary file cache to 5MB. Click OK. History can be lowered to 0 or a scale of 1-10.

Reset internet protocol settings.

Perform the steps in this section to "reset" your Internet Protocol settings in Windows XP. Resetting TCP/IP (Internet Protocol) can resolve issues like always receiving a Page cannot be displayed message or a 404 message.

In Windows XP, click Start, and then Run.

Type the following into the Open field: netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Click OK.

Restart the PC and try to log on and browse the Internet. If the problem persists, continue using these steps.

If you have Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later, click Start, Run and enter the following into the Open field: netsh winsocks reset.

If you do not have Service Pack 2, perform all of the following steps to remove and restore the Winsocks files:

CAUTION: The following steps involve editing the registry. Make sure that you have created a restore point or that the registry is backed up before continuing.

Click Start, Run, and type the following into the Open field: regedit
Click OK. A registry Editor appears.

Click the plus sign (+) next to the following keys: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\

Click Winsock, press the Delete key, and click Yes to confirm the removal of the key.

Click Winsock2, press the Delete key, and click Yes to confirm the removal of the key.

Restart the PC. You must perform this step.

Open the Network Connections window (from either Control Panel or the Network Places sidebar), right-click the network connection, and select Properties.

Click Install, Protocol, Add, Have Disk, and type the following into the field: c:\windows\inf

Click OK and select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) from the list of available protocols.

Click OK.

Restart the PC and try to log on and browse the Internet.

You might also contact your ISP provider for DNS settings as well as any messages regarding server issues and locations.

Modem issues, etc...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=bph04978

AOL -

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00061937

MSN -

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00061799

You might be interested in this site for testing and tweaks -

http://www.dslreports.com/stest

Pat

George Zhou
Occasional Advisor

Pat,

After reformat harddrive and recover Windows XP sp1, internet connection is fine, but I just could not browse any internet websites with IE. Does it relate to desfunction of Wireless mgr?

Can I try restore CDs from other computers?
Pat
Honored Contributor

Have you added the network drivers for that unit?

Compaq Presario 2100 Notebook PC (AMD)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?lc=en&cc=us&dest_page=product&product=385190&dlc=en&os=228

Compaq Presario 2100 Notebook PC (Intel)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?lc=en&cc=us&dest_page=product&dlc=en&product=385193&os=228

I've seen cases on this forum where some say you can use another set of recovery disks for other units while others say once they've used someone else's disks they can no longer register a Product Key.

Look in your registry for the Product Key, note the url (export a copy of it and place it on a floppy for safe-keeping if you intend to restore using someone else's disks.)

Disks that were shipped or purchased for specific units would be for those unit specifications which may be different from yours. Retail versions may be acceptable.

Good luck whichever decision you make.

Pat
Jason Burks

I am having same problem all of a sudden. Has ANYONE been able to resolve without reinstalling windows? My hard drive is near capacity and I want to avoid trying to backup everything. By the way, for those who had the same problem, were any on you near capacity on your HD? I initally thought that was the problem but I went and made a couple gig of room and it still won't boot. HELP!!!!
George Zhou
Occasional Advisor

I did re-format whole hard drive and got a complete start-up after that.
It really is very painful for losing softwares and important data, but what else we can do? Trash the computer?
Good luck!
George