4990 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP WirelessMGr Module

SOLVED
Go to solution
mary ringrose

I, too, tried the 26144.exe download, but it has not fixed the problem. I, too suspect it has something to do with the windows service pack 2 download. I had another email form HP and they suggested a clean boot, but looking through the meassages, it seems as though some one tried this already.I have a compaq 2500.I am going to email HP again and direct them to this site , fingers crossed.
mary ringrose

I unplugged all my devices(includin compaq PC) from my computer desk,(which I now perceive was faulty) and replugged them into a brand new circuit breaker, and guess what- all my problems are over!
Worth a try- check all plugs for faults
Alice Millikan

I have a similar problem. I have only had my hp compaq nx6125 for about a week. The wireless activation button was working one night, but then the next morning, when I turned it on, it had stopped working for no apparent reason.

When I press the button it says "WLAN: Off" then I press it again and it says "WLAN: Disabled" in the bubble window. The blue light doesn't come on and of course, I can't connect anymore.

There wasn't anything of any value on my computer, so I reinstalled the operating system and all of the device drivers that were provided with the computer. That had no effect at all, so it must be a hardware issue I guess.

I also read somewhere that the button could be disabled in the BIOS. I checked that out, but it is enabled there. All the hardware config setup screens tell me that everything is working and enabled without conflicts and blah blah...

Does anyone have any suggestions? Except for taking it back to the shop, I have run out of ideas.
Olivier Cottray

hi-

sorry, no solution, just reiteration of the same problem. my presario 2500 gets stuck at the blue windows xp welcome screen before i get a chance to log in.

can someone explain how i can (if i can) install sp264something.exe (the one that seems to have solved a few of your problems) given that i can't even get into my system. is there a way through BIOS?.. and is that the fix for my specific case?

a big thank you.
Dave Engstrom

I HAD the same error and here is how I resolved to message from appearing each time I started my computer. This did not affect my ability to use the wireless adapter on my Presario 2500.

On XP from the start menu navigate to all programs -> administrative tools -> services (if you do not see the administrative tools options you will need to add the menu through your taskbar properties option). When the services window opens scroll to HPWirelessMgr and open by double clicking. Under the startup type dropdown menu select "disable" and click ok button.

Restart your computer and this should resolve the annoying error and then test your wireless connections.
Olivier Cottray

thanks for this, but the problem is that i don't even get into windows. the start up stalls at the Windows XP welcome screen just before by login button would normally come up...
Rich_113

I have an HP Pavilion ze5270. After downloading/installing MS XP High Priority Updates, my laptop would boot and get to the Desktop display with no problem. Then, after a minute or so, the white box would pop up stating "HP WirelessMgr Module has encountered a problem and needs to close." So I would hit the "Send Error Report" button. I'm not running a wireless system at home - it's hard wired from the DSL modem and Linksys router., But everytime I turn on the laptop, I'd get the message. Internet access or laptop usage was not stopped, just delayed.
I had an on-line chat on 9/17/05 with an HP Tech support person for about 30 minutes and explained the problem. He resolved it by having me do the following:
Go to Start, then Run. Type in "services.msc". From the Services menu, find the "HP WirelessMgr Module" and double click on it. He had me change the settings from "Automatic" to "Manual". I restarted the computer and no more Error message or delays in booting up. The tech support person didn't say if I would have a problem if I went wireless, but it did resolve the immiediate annoyance. Just thought I'd pass this info on to everyone. Good Luck!
alun_2

Olivier Cottray ... you say that you don't even get into windows - that it stalls at the Windows XP welcome screen.

I have exactly the same problem (with a Presario 2520AP). So like you, I would love to know how to be able to download and run the SP26144.exe file.

I've tried starting up in Safe Mode, but it stalls at the same point there as well.

Any ideas anyone?
Al Low

I also have a Presario 2170us that is not making it through the boot process. Using ERD commander I am able to look at the logs and I noticed the HPWirelessMgr.exe program was having problems (they started on 9/21). But I was able to rename that module so that it couldn't start and the error message went away, but the system STILL doesn't make it through the boot process. This is the third time that the system has ended up like this. First time I was able to use the XP install recovery option. The second time I had to restore to factory default and reload all the software and data. So I would really like to find out what the problem is.

And don't suggest softpacks as I can't install them (other than a BIOS update which I did apply)
David Nicholas_3

I had posted earlier (see above) but since that time, I continued to have the long boot-up problems and had to repair my OS install at least 3 times. Each time, it lasted about a month or two before the boot process would fail again. Finally, after most of my .exe files failed to work even for programs like MS Office, I decided to install a clean copy of the OS again. By the way, this was also after I had attempted to install SP-2 which created it's own problems. Once I saved my files and did the new install of the OS and spent about an hour on the phone with MS Support (who actually helped a great deal... surprised??) to download and install SP-2 and necessary updates..... SHAZAMMMM!!! Everything worked fine again, including the wireless module. I even (after working up some nerve) pushed the dreaded wireless button on the front of my laptop and believe it or not... it also works once again!!! The boot process works great and is faster than it has ever been... even faster than when I purchased the laptop new.

My recommendation is to start new... Save all of your files (I actually saved most of mine in a new folder called "My Old Documents" which is not affected with the new install/reinstall. Your original My Documents folder will be overwritten with the new install/reinstall unless you actually creat new user names during the install process.

You will need to reload your programs not included with your install... and hopefully you will see the same results as I did. It's a whole new world... The laptop actually runs like a completely new/different computer.

Good Luck!!