Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP e-pc and Linux

Kan Chin
Occasional Visitor

HP e-pc and Linux

On June 16, Eric Harvill posted a question in this forum on installing Linux RedHat 7.0 and Mandrake 7.2 on e-pc. Both OSs only recognized 64MB RAM although the e-PC has 128MB. I've tried the expert's suggestion to force the operating system to use all the amount of memory installed, by passing options to the kernel:

Using Lilo (file /etc/lilo.conf) :
append="mem=128M"

The OS booted until memory check, then crashed under general protection fault. The message displayed on the screen are copied as follows:

Memory: 127912K/131072K avai..
general protection fault
cpu:0
EIP:0010[]
EFLAGS:00010286
eax:0000009f ebx:c7fff0d8 ecx:ffffffff edx:c03ac000
esi:00000028 edi:ffffffff ebp:c7ffffe0 esp:c0233f46
process swapper cpid:0, process nr:0, stackpage:c0233000
stack: ...
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill the idle task
In swapper task - not syncing

3 REPLIES
Kodjo Agbenu
Honored Contributor

Re: HP e-pc and Linux

Hello,

Does it work well if you specify "mem=64M" ?

You can try to diagnose a hardware defect or bad connection with your memory cards. Try one, then the other, or try swapping them, or unplug and re-plug them.

Good luck.

Kodjo

P.S. don't forget to rank this answer (from 1 to 10).
Learn and explain...
I_M
Honored Contributor

Hi

Try mem=127M

If you want to know more, read
http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/tips/i810.html

Regards,
masanari iida
Kan Chin
Occasional Visitor

I've tried RedHat 7.1 on epc.
The installation went through without a hiccup.
Thanks for your kind help anyway!