4661 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP porting to intel

Dieter Degrendele_1
Frequent Advisor

HP porting to intel

Hi,

Some principal HP Consultants told me that HP will port their HPUX to intel systems too.

The possible we did, the unpossible we're doing but for a miracle you have to wait some time.
3 REPLIES 3
Tim Malnati
Honored Contributor

HP has had a long time joint development project with Intel named the 'Merced' processor and also known as IA64. It's promised to be the next generation chip, but for now it's simply several years late. For more info see http://www.ia-64.hp.com
Joe Fisher_1

Unfortunately, the IA64 chipset will be too expensive for the average home user. Sun ported its operating system to the intel chipset long ago, and it's been an incredible marketing success. If the average home user has access to Solaris at a reasonable price, but not HP, which O/S do you think they'll recommend, when their supervisors ask for input! I believe that HP needs to port a workstation version, with the look and feel of the RISC-based version, to the intel platform as soon as possible, or stand to lose more of the market share... The intel version could be used for home enthusiasts (at a linux-competitive price) or for workstations... In either case, it would give more end users a chance to become familiar with HP-UX, and increase HP-UX Server sales as a result...
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

HP will be coming out with 11.21 towards the end of 2002. You can already see a SD/N class working on ia64 on certain trade shows.
HP co designed the ia64 chip, so going by that background the transition should be smooth.

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)