4657 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP tools on Lunix

Joseph P. Marino
Occasional Advisor

HP tools on Lunix

OK.
I can build a Linux server/workstation and don't have to beg (on my knees, very low) accounting about HP workstation for Christmas depending if I am good or bad, we all know what accounting think of us.

Is there a way to put Ignite, Glance, SWDepot, Monitoring tools, CDE on Linux workstation.
If there is please let me know how or point me in the right direction
If not Any Ideas please
9 REPLIES 9
Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor

Re: HP tools on Lunix

Not unless HP ports those tools to Linux. Don't know that they have any plans to do so. If you require those specific tools, not just Linux equivalents, then you need hardware running HP-UX.
--
Jeff Traigle
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Yes, it is very easy to copy all these files to a Linux box but somehow I rather doubt that that is your definition of "put". If by "put" you mean that you would like to be able to install them and execute them on a Linux then "that dog won't hunt".
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Most of the tools you have mentioned are HPUX specific. Exception would be CDE and monitoring tools.

For CDE, there was a CDE for Linux some time ago. It was discontinued because it was buggy and these bugs were major security bugs. Linux has GNOME which I feel is a good desktop. HP has GNOME available for building on HPUX. In fact I heard that HPUX default window desktop was going to GNOME, haven't heard for some time now.

The monitoring tools you can get for UN*X in general as the default tools that are loaded by default. Tools such as sar, vmstat, iostat, etc, are universal.
Joseph P. Marino
Occasional Advisor

That's exactly what I meant.
To install monitoring and recovery tools on a separate workstation and use it as client-server.
With a faint hope of achieving results without spending significant amount of money and using available recourses
I'll keep this thread alive for another day
Who knows...

Thank you
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

The monitoring tools of sar, vmstat, iostat, etc., are already installed on the local Linux machine. Also to note, some of these universal tools (e,g., sar) have different options on some of the various UN*X flavors. So some of these commands require you to run locally.
Rick Beldin
HPE Pro

You can, of course, use the Linux ws as a monitoring station by either setting it up as an Xterminal OR simply exporting the DISPLAY variable from the HP-UX system and running the individual tools independently, such as SAM, OpenView, ect. OpenView has a Linux component but I don't know if it is a client or a monitoring piece. Some of the newer HP-UX sysadmin components are web-based, such as kcadmin.

More elaborate solutions, using Xvnc for example, can be setup to allow remote access to the HP-UX system.
Necessary questions: Why? What? How? When?
Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor

If you want to use the common Unix tools such as sar or iostat you need to install the sysstat package.
As far as I remember it even required a patch in former kernels to use sar.
But I think most current distros now don't need that anymore.
If you have installed RedHat and happened to have configured yum you can install the package as easy as "yum install sysstat".
(it must be similar with apt-get on a Debian Linux).
If you want to have a an LVM flavour of HP-UX you must run a kernel that either has LVM metadevices compiled in or modular lodable.
Again in former kernels patching of the kernel sources was required, and the additional installation of lvm-utils.
Current distros' kernels have already come with it (e.g. RedHat Fedora).
However, you have to be aware that if you want full rootability of LVM volumes you need to either have a kernel that contains support for it.
Otherwise you have to create an initial ramdisk that loads the module, and isssues a vgscan.
If you have RedHat running you can look at their initrd by mounting it on a loopback device.

e.g.

gzip -dc /boot/initrd-$(uname -r) > /tmp/initrd.dump

mount -o loop /tmp/initrd.dump /some/mount/point

or use losetup.

You can also manage ServiceGuard clusters (even configure them from a GUI, but who does this?) from your Linux box.
HP has shipped a Multi O/S Application SW CD with HP Distributed Components.
On it is a Java SG manager rpm.

Why would you want to run CDE?
There is an affluent variety of window managers to choose from on Linux.
Most distros either come with KDE or Gnome.

Madness, thy name is system administration
Dwyane Everts_1
Honored Contributor

Joseph,

As mentioned, these tools are HPUX specific; however, there are equivalents available:

Ignite - Mondo Rescue (http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/)

Glance - the systat package, I'm sure someone has created a Glance look-alike; also try:
http://www.desktop-linux.net/linuxconfig.htm
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=5918
Webmin is an exceptional tool!!!

Monitoring Tools - are you referring to the HPUX EMS? If so, using the systat commands, you can build your own

SWDepot - rpm command, place all your patches/software in one directory, and use "rpm -ihv *" rpm is powerful enough to grab all the software, put them in order based on dependencies, and install them

CDE - GNOME is the current recommendation, and its part of the install...has the same look and feel of Windows XP

Personal advice based on experiences:
Mondo, Webmin (and its numberous add-ons), and GNOME. Webmin covers the majority of your concerns.

Dwyane
Joseph P. Marino
Occasional Advisor

Thank you everyone