New Discussion юеВ

HP9000 window terminal in block mode

SOLVED
Go to solution
Stf
Esteemed Contributor

HP9000 window terminal in block mode

Hi,

I want to set HP9000 terminal window in block mode to make it work with HP3000 application.

Is there any env to set or something in /etc/profile?

Regards

Stf
14 REPLIES 14
Jose Mosquera
Honored Contributor

Re: HP9000 window terminal in block mode

Stf
Esteemed Contributor

OK I have already look at this but how does it work ?

Do i have to type "blmode" when I start a new terminal window or can i execute it in profile?

regards

Stf
Jose Mosquera
Honored Contributor

Waooo, is not easy to view, I'm reading more about... ...meanwhile please check this one:
http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90128/vt3k.1.html

Rgds.
Stf
Esteemed Contributor

Yes I already look at this solution but it don't solve my problem.

Regards

Stf
rick jones
Honored Contributor

It might be a terribly simplistic question to ask, but the "HP9000 terminal window" of which you write - is it an hpterm? If not, then I think HP 3000 style block mode is not likely.

Another possible route might be Reflections and its terminal emulation connecting directly to the HP3000 from the PC on which Reflections is running.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
donna hofmeister
Trusted Contributor

rick is (of course) correct.

to run a block-mode application on a 3000 you want to make a direct connection to the 3000 using an intelligent emulator like reflection, minisoft or qcterm.

you can telnet to a 3000 and do almost anything (run commands or character-based programs) but once you want to do sophisticated screen-handling, then you need something smart enough to know what to do.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

And to add to Donna's post, block mode is always off by default for HP-type terminals. MPE (hp3000) programs will turn on block automatically. However, there are no HP-UX block mode programs (anymore). So if you're looking for a block mode editor where you just type what you want and press Enter to transmit the screen -- sorry. You'll need to read the book: The Ultimate Guide to vi.

Real HP terminals (the 700/9x series, 2392a, 262x series) are hard to find and even harder to hook up (serial cables). The only true HP terminal emulators are WRQ's (now Attachmate) Reflection for HP (NOT Reflection/X), and QCterm (which is free. hpterm is a cheap imitation and requires a large amount of network bandwidth to display what is simple text.

Are you writing a program to take advantage of Forms Mode and Block Mode? How do you want to use block mode?

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

After re-reading your question, it is not clear what you are doing. It sounds like you are logging into an HP9000 then running an application on the HP3000, correct? Why can't you login directly to the HP3000? Are you running Xwindows on your PC, then starting hpterm or xterm or dtterm on the HP9000 and then telnet to the HP3000? As I mentioned, Xwindows emulators, specifically hpterm are deficient in many areas including block mode and DC1/DC2 handshaking.

You can simplify all of this by purchasing a copy of "Reflection for HP" from Attachmate for your PC, or download the free program QCTerm ( http://www.aics-research.com/qcterm/ ) which can connect directly to the HP3000 and run your block/forms mode applications.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Decades ago we used vt3k to talk to the HP3000.