3556 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

HPUX 11.31 - directory size limitation?

Dave Cast
Frequent Advisor

HPUX 11.31 - directory size limitation?

Hello all,

Quick qestion - does anyone know if there is a _directory_ size limit in 11.31? Here's the output of HPUX version and lvm version:

swlist -l product|grep -i lvm
  LVM                   B.11.31.1104   LVM
  LVM-Core              B.11.31        HP-UX Kernel support for the logical volume manager
  LVM-MirrorDisk        B.11.31        MirrorDisk/UX
  PHCO_37328            1.0            mkboot(1M) patch for LVM and HPVM
  PHKL_38079            1.0            PRM/FSS cumulative patch with LVM enhancement

AND

swlist|grep -i enter
  HPUX11i-OE-Ent                        B.11.31.0709   HP-UX Enterprise Operating Environment

Today is different and tomorrow the same.
2 REPLIES 2
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: HP-UX 11.31 - directory size limitation?

I don't know of any limit other than performance.

Probably anything over 10,000s goes bad quickly.

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: HPUX 11.31 - directory size limitation?

There is no practical limit for a VxFS directory. Millions and millions of files and subdirectories can be part of the directory structure. I am assuming you are referring to the quantity of files and not the size of the files in the directory. The real concern is managing massively large directory entries. Simple commands like ll and fileame matching (ie, *) won't be pratical.  You'll need to know the exact name of the file or if using a regex to match filenames, the match must return something less than the maximum length of a command line (as in shell scripts or interactive). Commands that search or summarize directories (ie, find, du, etc) will take a long time and require a lot of I/O.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin