108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPUX 11iv2 syslog and sendmail configuration files

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tom Haddad
Super Advisor

HPUX 11iv2 syslog and sendmail configuration files

Attached are the syslog.conf, aliases and userdb info of 2 11iv2 hosts..

Server A is my central host. This means that system alerts/errors from other hosts are routed to it.Server B is one of those 'other' hosts.
Heres my example,
I receive (to my ms exchange mailbox) with the FROM field as user X and the receipient is of course me with the subject of ALERT.
(ie. it may be that a filesystem is full).
My co-worker (user X) is no longer here and set it up to where if ROOT gets mail (alert) its forwarded to our Exchange mailboxes but the FROM has user X (not root).
I want to keep the same implementation but replace user X and put my email address.

Attached are the 3 files from each host.
As stated....
Host A handles alerts/errors from all other hosts (see syslog.conf)
It aliases file has no customized entreis.
HOST B is one of the other hosts. (its syslog.conf will have an entries for central server, A)

I understand how to edit and recreate the .db files but trying to understand the mail handling and flow here.
6 REPLIES 6
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello Tom,

You already have a userdb file under /etc/mail.
Edit the file and replace the 'x' user name with your own - in EXACTLY the same order you see.

Now save the file and run the following:

makemap btree /etc/mail/userdb.db < /etc/mail/userdb

Stop and restart mail

/sbin/init.d/sendmail stop
/sbin/init.d/sendmail start

[ It's all under the UNIX notes in file called 'mail' ]

Regards,
Rita

Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

...see if possibly you could call 'x' and maybe they could answer how/why they did it the way they did...

Rgrds,
Rita
Tom Haddad
Super Advisor

I was familiar with the makemap and the restart of sendmail but was reviewing the user of userdb vs aliases.

Other areas that had user X have been modified. I was looking last week and left out the 'alerts' of all things!!

AND I will call user X soon!
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

They simply sent all alerts/warning/lbolt/errors or whatever to the central repository server, and from there they decide what messages are important enough to send out.

The userdb file was done simply to flip the FROM address from root to the user's name and email address.
The reason for the flip could be because the mail server might reject things from 'root' viewing it as potentially spam. Or it could be to send it on to the user's email address.

Rgrds,
Rita
Tom Haddad
Super Advisor

Thanks.
Tom Haddad
Super Advisor

Change applied successfully. !!!