1748203 Members
3277 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPUX Error: 23: File table overflow

Marco  Hernandez Padill
Occasional Advisor

HPUX Error: 23: File table overflow

I am working with Oracle 8.0.5 and HP-UX 11.0 on a K420. I am getting this message:

TNS-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process
TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
TNS-00530: Protocol adapter error
HPUX Error: 23: File table overflow

Any idea what's the problem??
tHANK'S
Nada como la persistencia
9 REPLIES 9
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Generally this means a problem with kernel params, you need to increase maxusers and nfile and nproc will increase with it.

See url:
http://us-support2.external.hp.com/cki/bin/doc.pl/sid=cf693c9408f171da2c/screen=ckiDisplayDocument?docId=200000024631441

/rcw
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

The number of open files allowed by the kernel's 'nfile' parameter has been exceeded. You will need to increase this (via SAM (Kernel COnfiguration)) and reboot. You can use 'glance' to check the current nfile utilization via the [t]able report.

...JRF...
Kofi ARTHIABAH
Honored Contributor

Yes, you have run out of nfile - a kernel parameter (which is dependent on the value of maxusers) You need to go to SAM and modify the kernel parameters - I would increase the maxusers parameter, and nfile should also increase.

you may want to do a search in the forums for "file table" for more info, but here is a link to start you off:

http://my1.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,1150,0x450360260cafd4118fef0090279cd0f9,00.html

good luck
nothing wrong with me that a few lines of code cannot fix!
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

The 'file table overflow' message indicates that you have exceeded the maximum number of open files on your system. This value is controlled by the kernel parameter nfile. You will need to tune this parameter.

This is most easily done via SAM and will require the kernel to be rebuilt and will also require that the system be rebooted in order for the new kernel to take effect.

Have a look at this link for more info. Though this is an old document, it is still valid.

http://us-support2.external.hp.com/cki/bin/doc.pl/sid=bb34c2e91772578a0d/screen=ckiDisplayDocument?docId=200000006417730
Darrel Louis
Honored Contributor

Marco,

If you check the following:
# grep 23 /usr/include/sys/errno.h
ENFILE ....
# man errno
Search for ENFILE

[ENFILE] File table overflow. The system's table of open files is full, and temporarily no more open()s can be accepted

Check if the kernel parameter, nfile, has a formula: with maxusers include.
Then it's better to increase maxusers(double it).
nnf97
Regular Advisor

Before changing, you might confirm with the DBA's that there has indeed been a higher utilization of the database to cause the file table from getting full, i.e. nfile to max out.
If nothing has changed on Oracle side, I am talking mostly about amount of data, type of processing, etc, then you would might have to look on the Oracle side too.

There is no harm in increasing the kernel parameter, but its better to be sure that indeed that is the problem. Otherwise, a couple of days later, you might be troubleshooting the same problem again.

Regards,
Nabeel
Live Free or Die (New Hampshire)
Francisco Galan-Jimenez
Occasional Contributor

Hi Everybody,

I have experienced the same problem, I fixed it increasing parameter maxuser.

I like to know more about but I cannot follow the links you put above.

Any idea if they are still valid?, or any documentation for tuning kernel parameters.

Thank you!
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Here is a link that should help.

http://www.docs.hp.com/hpux/os/11.0/index.html#System%20Administration

There are two pages which would be of interest:

Configurable Kernel Parameters (HP-UX 11.0)
and
HP-UX Kernel Tuning and Performance Guide (HP-UX 11.0)

HTH
Michael
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Varghese Mathew
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

It's problem with the nfile paramater in kernel. Probably your oracle dba's might have done a few changes recently, and that change might have requested for more files to be opened simultaneously, which might be more than the limit specified by the nfile parameter in the kernel.

I have faced the same problem and have got it done by increasing the value of nfile.

Hope this helps
Cheers !!!
Mathew
Cheers !!!