Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HPUX: SMS notification

Sandrea See
Occasional Visitor

HPUX: SMS notification

Hi,

I've configured sendmail on my HPUX server which enable the Dataprotector to send alert via email. I would like to know how I can send the alert via sms. Now, the email received contains a lot of details. I can't possibly send all these details to my mobile phone. So would like to have the subject of the alert to be send to my mobile phone. How can I do that?

Please advise. Thanks.
5 REPLIES
David DiBiase
Frequent Advisor

Re: HPUX: SMS notification

just send an email to your cell phone number at your carrier. Here are some examples

Below is a list of the major carrier domains:

Alltel
@message.alltel.com

Cingular/AT&T
@txt.att.net

Nextel
@messaging.nextel.com

Sprint
@messaging.sprintpcs.com

SunCom
@tms.suncom.com

T-mobile
@tmomail.net

VoiceStream
@voicestream.net

Verizon
@vtext.com

Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi,

SMS is nothing but email in the background. Every mobilephone will have SMS address of @Serviceprovider.com. Whatever the SMS come to your mobile number will be send to @Serviceprovider.com. Then it will come to your mobile number. That way SMS is working.

What you need to do is call the Service provider and get the cell mail address for your mobile number. Important thing is, ask them to enable cell mail service. So that the email come to your mobile will be send to your mobile.

Once you have done it, Configure unix to grep the subject and mail it to that address.
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
Avinash20
Honored Contributor

Sandrea See
Occasional Visitor

How do I configure unix to grep the subject and mail it to that address? I have the sms gateway. But I'm not sure how to grep subject. Currently, the email is quite long so I can't send to the sms gateway.

David DiBiase
Frequent Advisor

I have used procmail to filter my mail on the UNIX server and a rule similar to the one below to strip out part of a subject and pass it along.

This traps a message "Received" from the IP and the "To" line contains either 111 or 452 and contains the string "Call Alert Message".
Procmail performs a "MATCH" on all characters starting with Message by the specified by the "\/M...."

the formail command inserts a mail header into the message (not needed for your question)

:0
*^Received: from 10.0.0.25
*^Subject:.*Call Alert \/Message.*
*^To:.*(111|452)
{
:0 f
| formail -I "X-VMAIL: alert mail"

:0c
| mailx -s "$MATCH" 9995551212@vtext.com
:0
alert_mail
}