5912 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

HPUX per socket licensing

pgupta101
Occasional Visitor

HPUX per socket licensing

Hi,

Can someone pls help me understand how per socket licensing works for HPUX DC-OE and VSE-OE env.

If i want to run 10 vpars in a HPUX host with DC-OE, how many per socket licenses in need to pruchase for host and vpars? assuming the Host has 10 number of 8-core sockets.installed. thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Hawkeye
HPE Pro

Re: HPUX per socket licensing

Hi,

HP-UX licensing for i2 and later servers is based on a Per-Socket License (PSL).

Earlier platforms use a Per-Core license (PCL).

So, assuming you have a Superdome 2 nPar with 10x 8c CPU installed e.g. 10p/80c and you want to run either VSE-OE or DC-OE in the vPars configured in this nPar, then for HP-UX you would need:-

10x VSE-OE PSL LTU or

10x DC-OE PSL LTU

Plus associated Support item for the above e.g.

10x 3yr Foundation Care 24x7 Support

I work for HPE
A quick resolution to technical issues for your HPE products is just a click away HPE Support Center Knowledge-base
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

pgupta101
Occasional Visitor

Re: HPUX per socket licensing

Thanls for the reply. Need more help pls, to uderstand the licensing at Host /Guest OS level.

If i have 10x VSE-OE and 10x DC-OE licenses, how many instances of OS can be installed, assuning 10p/80v setup...

For exmaple 1 would install few npar with DC OE and inside that nPar will install vpars with VSE-OE ? will it limit the count of instances of OS i can install ? How many instances of Virtual Machines can be installed which will only be assigned few cores ?

in short, can the count of OS instances exceed 20  (that is total of 10 DCOE +10 VSEOE licenses) , by any means like combination of host.,npar,vpar,VMs installed ? 

Hope i didn't confuse witth my question. Thank you so much for your time.