New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPUX vs other unix based OS

Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

J. Maestre
Honored Contributor

My point is that RH is supported by RH, you don't get forwarded to hobbyists. They issue their own fixes for third party OSS and merge them upstream.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Michael: what a PA-RISC CPU can do in one operation, an Itanium needs a hundred.

Any particular instruction you had in mind as that slow?
Nafez ALNajjar
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
Performance is not always the key value , a combination of Price/Performance could be a better benchmark , And according to this research by illuminata , Intel Itanuim on Integrity seems to have a nice Price/Performance comparing to RISC machines.

http://www.integrity.com.pl/upload_module/u_doc/nowe/partnerzy_materialy/iluminata_itanium_p5_sparc.pdf
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> [...] few recall what Risc is and means:
> Reduced Instruction Set. Which translate
> into approximately, what a PA-Risc CPU can
> do in one operation, an Itanium needs a
> hundred.

Oh, yeah. Those Reduced Instruction Set
Computing CPUs are famous for having a large
number of different instructions, each of
which does one or more complex tasks.

Yow.

> I have never seen a Itanium box on par to
> a PA-Risc box, either in speed or
> reliability.

Perhaps you should get out more. I'd say
that an rx26XX system, say, would beat any
number of ten-year-old PA-RISC systems in
both speed and reliability.
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Here you go Steven Weeda, maybe you should as you clientian about this: fluphenazine decanoate) Has the advantage of providing reliable dosing for a person who doesn't want to take the medication. A high-potency antipsychotic, it is formulated to allow slow release of the active drug when given as a deep, intramuscular injection.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
VK2COT
Honored Contributor

Hello Sanjay,

The question should probably be rephrased as:

Which Unix-based O/S works best for me?

Generic questions about which one is better
will draw immense amount of conflicting
comments. People base the answers on their
experience, rumours, feelings...

I have worked in Unix for the last 25-odd
years. And I am at HP for the last 10
years. I design, manage and review
all sorts of Unix/Linux/MacOS platforms,
so I think I have a reasonably wide
experience with all of them:

http://www.circlingcycle.com.au/dusan.html

HP-UX has some great advantages over
other O/Ses and there are some areas
for improvement too.

Other Unices have some great features as
well. It all depends on what you need and
what price you are prepared to pay.

It is easy to be negative and I avoid
doing it in my life.

So, please tell us what you want to achieve
with Unix servers?

Regards,

VK2COT
VK2COT - Dusan Baljevic
dirk dierickx
Honored Contributor

Depends what you mean with Unix based, do you include Linux in that or not? I would say if you do not, these days, you're an idiot.

1) LVM which is more powerful filesystem tool other than any unix OS
Wow, that is so untrue, linux comes with LVM as well, it uses the same commands as HPUX. Solaris has ZFS which everybody wants

2) Trusted system is the extra feature
Yawn, linux has SELinux special kernel extentions developed by the NSA, pretty nifty stuff. With solaris you have the 'trusted extensions'

3) one of the best virtualization system ( N-par and V-Par ) concept
some depend on hardware, which SUN has as well, and i know that in the past there have been intel boxes with this (don't know if they still exist or not). On software level solaris has zones and linux has a bunch of stuff like kvm, xen, actually too many to mention

4) best clustering system ( MC Service guard cluster )
riiight, which is available on linux too. on solaris you have the sun cluster or use vcs (which is available for hpux and linux too).

"I would not put Linux at the same level of these two because it's inferior in many utilities as well as software put together and supported by hobbyists."
Oh, common, are you stuck in the 90s or something? you do know that most of linux contribution comes from companies, actually paying programmers to work on linux. the fact that linux is OSS allows anybody to add/fix code, but the actual amount of 'outside' contributes in total is minor (we're talking a few % here). you do realise that services from google (to just name the biggest player) are build on linux from top to bottom. yeah, really hobbyist system.

i would choose hpux myself only in the case that the software that needs to be used is hpux only or runs best on hpux (sometimes ISV's do lousy ports, and software is not stable on platform X or Y).

Dirk,

>> Depends what you mean with Unix based, do you include Linux in that or not? I would say if you do not, these days, you're an idiot.

Strong language - I personally _would_ include Linux in these sorts of comparisons, but I would not be so quick to label anyone an "idiot" who didn't. extreme statements produce extreme responses - thoughtful and calm arguments generally produce better results than slanging matches.

>> Solaris has ZFS which everybody wants

Hmmm - Not "everybody" - As a HP-UX admin I don't think I see a great demand for it - ZFS has some nifty features, no doubt, but everything it does is pretty much acheivable with a filesystem and volume manager anyway - also to me it seems more directed a JBOD rather than for use with already "protected" disk array storage...

>> SELinux special kernel extentions developed by the NSA, pretty nifty stuff.

Ever used SELinux? I found it _very_ painful
- but thats just my opinion...

>> Oh, common, are you stuck in the 90s or something? you do know that most of linux contribution comes from companies, actually paying programmers to work on linux. the fact that linux is OSS allows anybody to add/fix code, but the actual amount of 'outside' contributes in total is minor (we're talking a few % here). you do realise that services from google (to just name the biggest player) are build on linux from top to bottom. yeah, really hobbyist system.

Your point is correct, Linux is no longer a hobbyist system, but there _are_ areas where Linux still misses functionality and capability... Being able to add/remove hardware online being one of my main gripes... another being the painful integration of os, hardware, tools and application - all of which seem to support different kernel revs, plus the rate of change is painful too!

But I would certainly consider Linux when the app fits well there...

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

"application - all of which seem to support different kernel revs, plus the rate of change is painful too! ..."

I'll second that. Used to get dozens of updates a week on RedHat....