108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Hardware Q's

SOLVED
Go to solution
john guardian
Super Advisor

Hardware Q's

I know that 11i-v1 is fairly old, but a customer wants to keep it... the original PA-RISC hardware is WAY OLD now and they'd like to replace it with something better AND-AT-THE-SAME-TIME use this hardware to support 11.23 AND 11.31.

So, the Q is : Is there a version of 11i-v1 (11.11) that is supported on Itanium? If not, what's a good, entry level server (IE: perhaps an analog of the rx3600)?

OR, finally... is there a platform that might support both via different processor boards... that won't also break the bank?
6 REPLIES 6
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor
Solution

ia64 (a.k.a. itanium) platform does not support anything less than 11.23. HP-UX v11i version 1 (a.k.a. 11.11) is only supported on PA-RISC platform machines, which are no longer being manufactured and sold by HP but still available from many used hp hardware dealers. One from Alabama, called Dasher Inc. comes to mind off the top of my head.

Depending on the requirements of the application running on the server that customer wants to keep on hpux 11.11, you should look for rp series servers. ro3440 is a very basic, entry level server, bordering a UNIX workstation of old times, supporting 4 PCI cards. rp4440 is the next level up with a performance above, old N-Class servers, supporting upto 7 additional PCI cards. If you need cell capable systems, you need to look into rp74xx series servers, which are quite powerful.

All rp servers can run v 11.11 and v 11.23 hpux versions.

Hope this helps

11iv1 will not run on Itanium. A bottom of the range entry level PA-RISC server would be a rp3440 (2 sockets, so up to 4 core)

Of course, you should be aware that we stopped selling _new_ PA-RISC systems at the end of 2008, so you'd need to look at HP's Renew channel:

http://www.hp.com/united-states/renew-worldwide/index.html

Or find some other second user broker who can offer you some sort of warranty.

Although it was probably feasible to put both PA and IA processors into any of our cell based systems (so thats the rx7640/rp7440 and up), the only system that was ever supported in this configuration was a Superdome, and I'm not sure that will come under your definition of "won't also break the bank?"

But do remember that 11.23 and 11.31 are also supported on PA-RISC, so any partitionable system (such as a rp7440) could be split into vPars hosting 11.11, 11.23, and 11.31. But again compared to a rx3660, a rp7440 is going to be pretty pricey.

Can I challenge the reasons *why* the customer wants to stay on 11.11?

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi John,

HP has stopped selling pa-risc systems several weeks ago.

Current Integrity server can run hp-ux 11.23, 11.31 and later ...

The rx3600 is a good entry level server, the rx2660 may be an alternative.

The only hardware platform that supports both, Itanium and pa-risc processors in the same chassis at the same time in different partitions is the sx1000 and sx2000 superdome - high end, not entry level ;-))

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

Duncan,

Having to live on 11.11 for the past 5 years with no end in sight, I'll take your challenge. Some old software that end users not willing to give up on, vendors of which are great vanishing act of the last decade's dot com bust, you have no way but running the 11.11 till it dies until finding an alternative application that will run on more modern systems, while mimicking the old application. Very tall order for my already understaffed and overworked department.

Cheers

Mel,

yeah thats what I'd expect - just wondering if this is the case for john's customer... sometimes its just down to fear or perception of complex change

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
john guardian
Super Advisor

Thanks to all for the prompt info. It's appreciated.