5719 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Hardware key for Windwos Machines

Khalid A. Al-Tayaran
Valued Contributor

Hardware key for Windwos Machines

Hi,

Is there a way to generate or get a unique hardway key on windows machines (other than the MAC address) such as some software that require a hardware activation key?? and how?? examples??
6 REPLIES 6
Ted Kanemori
Advisor

Can you tell us a little more about what you are trying to accomplish? The MAC address is "burnt" onto the network interface card. You don't usually try to change it. The IP address that you choose to use is a "unique" address that identifies your system. This hardware activation "key". Are you trying to lock your system so nobody can use the system? Or are you trying to prevent someone from using an application? Please tell us more so we can understand what you need. Ted
Khalid A. Al-Tayaran
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I need a to write programs to keep records of computers I use or sell. In other words if a customer brings his PC for maint. I can just run this program to get all info related to this customer and his PC........
Khalid A. Al-Tayaran
Valued Contributor

Another example is for software use use authorization. A software can't work unless this hardware key is entered.

Khalid A. Al-Tayaran
Valued Contributor

Let me call this number the unique machine identification number.......
Ted Kanemori
Advisor

Hi,
When I sell a system, I have records of what I sold. It's in the form of a data base record and a hard copy of the invoice. The other part of your answer gives me the impression that you'd like to be able to load software on a system but before the "customer" can use it, they'd have to get/buy an activation code/key from you?????? Are you talking about things like shareware, that is actually an evaluation copy (good for XX number of days or XX number of uses)???????
Jose Antonio Orozco
Frequent Advisor

some time ago i use SisoftSANDRA, its a HW & SW inventory tool, and exports all to html
http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/sandra
What is not backed up, it not exists