Operating System - Microsoft
1752568 Members
5312 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Help! Which recovery disc do I use?

Ryan Burrows

Help! Which recovery disc do I use?

My computer unfortunately crashed and it will not restart even just into my desktop. After calling up the HP support hotline, they told me to put in the recovery disc and select the "non-destructive" option as I have important material which CAN NOT be deleted.

Anyway, to the point... My computer came with 2 recovery discs - SYSTEM RECOVERY and APPLICATION RECOVERY. All I need to know is which disc will leave all the existing files/data unharmed? Maybe I'm stupid, but I have looked everywhere to find out what each disc does.

So, if somebody could please tell me which disc I should use to KEEP all the files on my computer, then that would be very helpful.

Thanks.
I want the money, that's what I want
2 REPLIES 2
Ryan Burrows

Re: Help! Which recovery disc do I use?

Oops, I should've said this before... but the whole problem is I don't want my computer reformatted - so which disc will fix the error without losing files/reformatting?

Thank you.
I want the money, that's what I want
DALE KING
Regular Advisor

Re: Help! Which recovery disc do I use?

I do not own an HP therefore I can not tell you for sure which disk. However, I do believe it will give you a warning stating that all files will be deleted if you continue. Put the system recovery in first and see what options it gives you- if they aren't what you expect then try the Application Recovery. However, I would think System Recovery would recover the system information and the other the applications installed on your system. Try inserting each and see what options you come up with.