Operating System - Linux
1753831 Members
9468 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Help me with this shell script pls..

Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Re: Help me with this shell script pls..

Stuart wrote> Putting into memory is the mistake you're making. You're just after output.

No and No. The per script does not put it into memory either. I was just after proving that it can not be done with reasonable resources.

>> I've got one here that's about 40 lines long that (just mucking around) is brute-forcing a 32 character password.

Why would you try that if you know there does not exist storage in the world to hold the results (5e49 bytes... a 5 with 49 zeroes behind it)?

Karthik> Its just that sum 1 had told we can do this via shell script or perl script .

NOT with the specification you provided.

>> Can u guys post the code of what u tried.

Perl script above

Just change
>> for (' ', 'a'..'c', '0'..'2') {
:
>> if (($j && $x++ < $count) || $x++ < 3 ) {

To

>>>> for (' ', 'a'..'z', '0'..'9') {
:
>>>> if (($j && $x++ < $count) || $x++ < 26 ) {

If you want to go to 9999...9 the change last to:
>>>> if ($x++ < $count) {

Bash script was already posted below your reply above this one.

> I had been tryin this since days.

Ouch!

> Is there any logic for this Problem-

I just use a simple counting technique for a radix-N number.
You know 1 + 1 = 2...
9 + 1 = 0 and increment the next cell.
'a' + 1 = 'b'
'z' + 1 = ' ' and increment the next cell.

Instead of outputting each cell directly, i look up the 'picture' in a table.
One could also count in pictures of course.

On an HP BL860c, with just 7 output chars, the perl script generates the 960801 words in 9.3 seconds.
I killed the shell script after 11:31.6 minutes ( user 7:07.3, sys 1:50.2) just before it was done :-(.
I should have trusted my ball park duration guestimate of 10 minutes better, allowing for a little more.

$ wc -lc *.tmp
931315 7290395 bash.tmp
960801 8647214 perl.tmp

Hope this helps some,
Hein van den Heuvel (at gmail dot com)
HvdH Performance Consulting

Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

The perl script there is refusing to start with the numbered values.. was that intentional?
One long-haired git at your service...
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Surprised at the runtime difference?
I wasn't. Mind you, I tried under HPUX un Itanium, not Linux where bash might be more optimized.

>> The perl script there is refusing to start with the numbered values.. was that intentional?

Yes,
following the 'suggestion' in the original question:
".......till a9999999........9........9 "

In an earlier reply I questioned whether that leading 'a' was intentional (symbol or password requirement) or just careless.

It was implemented with the line
>> if (($j && $x++ < $count) || $x++ < 3 ) {
So is $j, the column counter is not zero = true then go through all sample characters. If it is not true then use a different stopper, here hardcoded at 3 = 'c'.
To generate all, simplify that line to:
>> if ($x++ < $count) {

Didn't i write that already above?

I maintain that if this was to be part of a serious application, then a 'real' compiled langues is in order, not perl and certainly not a shell. The generated data should not be stored/listed, but consumed there and then.

If it was a brute-force password cracker, then uppercase would probably need to be part of the character set:
>> for (' ', 'A'..'Z', 'a'..'f', '0'..'9') {

And you could restrict yourself to say 12 chars giving 'only' (26+26+10)**12 words.

Cheers,
Hein.