7479 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Help on resizing problem

Mohd Mohtar
Frequent Advisor

Help on resizing problem

Hi,

What does these errors means and how do I rectify them ?

ORA-01237: cannot extend datafile 30
ORA-01110: data file 30: '/d13/sp1/dat/680dat2.dbf'
ORA-19502: write error on file "/d13/sp1/dat/680dat2.dbf", blockno 177089 (blocksize=4096)
ORA-27072: skgfdisp: I/O error
Additional information: 177089

Posted this errors in Oracle Forum but was told that this combination of errors sometimes indicates a hardware problem and was redirected to the Unix
Installation/OS: RDBMS team.
So far, no reply yet and I urgently need to increase the datafiles sizes.

Thanks in Advance

Mohd
7 REPLIES 7
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

It is indeed an I/O error. There are only two possibilities: the disk is going bad and you are about to lose everything on that disk, or someone logged in as root may have used lvreduce on the running system (a BIG no-no) and made the physical disk (as it appears to the filesystem manager) smaller than when the filesystem was created.

The filesystem code issues a seek to a track beyond the end of the logical volume and the driver issues an I/O error, same as if the heads were positioned beyond the edge of the disk.

Look in /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log for disk errors. If there are a lot, make sure your backups are accurate and known to work.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor

Hi Mohd

do a dd if=/d13/sp1/dat/680dat2.dbf of=/dev/null and check whter this gives an io error or not .

Most of the dbf files you can do a strings also to check that the file is good or not. It looks there is a bad block , I suggest run a dd on the disk and replace if it errors out.

Manoj Srivastava
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

hello,

After noting the error ora-27020 I was looking at the amount of free space on your file system.

The message write error on a specific block is to check the /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log file to check any message related to a disk problem.

Post your syslog.log file messages indicating any bad disk failure.

T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

hello,

After noting the error ora-27020 I was looking at the amount of free space on your file system.

The message write error on a specific block is to check the /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log file to check any message related to a disk problem.

Post your syslog.log file messages indicating any bad disk failure.

T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

If there are no messages in syslog about a bad disk,

Do you have this parameter in your initialization file.
init.ora of the database.

CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME

check this link for the description of the parameter.

http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle9i/doc_library/901_doc/server.901/a90190/ch124.htm

Post your results

Thanks
Mohd Mohtar
Frequent Advisor

Thanks to all for the replies.

The IO error is due to insufficient disk space and I have rectified the problem.

Thanks again.