1752608 Members
4175 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Hi - I'm a writer for hp and I'd like to make this forum relevant to you

Maureen Rakel
Advisor

Hi - I'm a writer for hp and I'd like to make this forum relevant to you

My name is Maureen - I'm the owner of the www.twitter.com/HP_UX_Docs account and I've been writing for HP-UX for over 5 years now. I've been asked to pay some attention to this forum - to make it useful and relevent to our customers. I'm going to start posting new documentation announcements here, the way I've done for Twitter. I hope to grow this community, which includes taking feedback regarding our documentation.

Let me know of any content you'd like to see on this forum besides the posting of new docs - any ideas you have.  Looking forward to it!

7 REPLIES 7
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Thank you for sharing this.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

@Maureen Rakel wrote:

I'm going to start posting new documentation announcements here, the way I've done for Twitter. I hope to grow this community, which includes taking feedback regarding our documentation.

Let me know of ... any ideas you have.

Hi Maureen:

First, bring back the ability to get documentation in both HTML and PDF format.  Next, provide a better way to find documents.  The requirement for having a PDF to just get an index of what's available is annoying.  At least make that initial "index" HTML.

It would be nice to give document URLs some meaningful name as in the past.  Base names like "c01234567" are meaningless.  Metadata is always useful.

The subject of HP documentaton was discussed over a year ago, initiated by Torsten here:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Your-Questions-Regarding-ITRC/an-excellent-resource-replaced-by-worst-docs-hp-com-vs-BSC/td-p/4627287/highlight/true

Given the above comments, the announcement of new documentation, in my opinion, needs to be made under a category (or board?) that is specifically devoted to that.  Otherwise, your announcements will be diluted with the remainder of the community dialog.  In fact, it bothers me that HP has taken a *user* community and peppered it with pictoral annnouncement of clouds, smart phone apps and "gems".   What's next?  This was one of the things I feared when the great mutation was announced.

In balance, I have long publicly contended that HP technical documentation is some of the finest.  It's the presentation of it that has seriously degraded.

Regards!

...JRF...

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Hi - I'm a writer for HP and I'd like to make this forum relevant to you

>the announcement of new documentation needs to be made under a category (or board?) that is specifically devoted to that.

I have always assumed that was the whole purpose of this HP-UX Technical Documentation board.  And I have been getting the riffraff moved out.  ;-)

James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

@Dennis Handly wrote:

I have always assumed that was the whole purpose of this HP-UX Technical Documentation board.  And I have been getting the riffraff moved out.  ;-)

Point well taken.  That would be fine.

Regards!

...JRF...

Maureen Rakel
Advisor

Thanks for your comments - as with all the comments writers receive regarding the documentation portal, including the thread you included a link to, I'll pass this along to that team.  I'll also share your praise for our writing - thanks!

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>including the thread you included a link to, I'll pass this along to that team.

(I've already sent pointers to that topic when it first appeared 1+ years ago.)

James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

@Dennis Handly wrote:

(I've already sent pointers to that topic when it first appeared 1+ years ago.)

Dennis, that's nice of you, but the persistent problem is that messages generally vanish into a blackhole.  Responses to our requests for change are rarely returned and when they are they are with nebulous promises of "consideration" and/or vague timelines for implementation.  In my opinion, the community needs to continue to voice what is views as its needs if it is to remain viable.

...JRF...