New Discussion юеВ

Host is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chris Gersch
Occasional Advisor

Host is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server

A perplexing problem.
Whenever I try to telnet to the remote server on port 3306 it comes up with the not allowed to connect error. I have my hosts entries in mysql setup correctly so that's not an issue. Could this be a name resolving issue? Am using HP-UX 11.11
Many thanks,
Chris Gersch
6 REPLIES 6
Steven Sim Kok Leong
Honored Contributor

Re: Host is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server

Hi,

To aid troubleshooting, try connecting to the IP address and port number.

# telnet ip_addr_of_mysql_server 3306

Trying...
Connected to mysql_server.
Escape character is '^]'.

Does it get connected?

Hope this helps. Regards.

Steven Sim Kok Leong
Chris Gersch
Occasional Advisor

Yeah - have done that. On local host I can:

#telnet localhost 3306

and it connects fine. From a remote machine however it doesn't make the initial connection and replys straight away with the "can't connect" error.
Chris Gersch
Occasional Advisor

oops - sorry, I've tried to telnet to "localhost", AND "ip_of_mysql_server", and "host_name" from both the localhost and remote hosts. Localhost it all works fine - not a problem. However anywhere else and it doesn't connect.
Steven Sim Kok Leong
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Are you able to connect to other services on the remote server from your client?

1) traceroute ip_addr_of_mysql_server
2) telnet ip_addr_of_mysql_server 22 (assuming if SSHD is running)

If 1) is not working, check that you can ping the ip_addr_of_default_route and that the default route has been defined in your routing table (netstat -rn to verify).

If 1) and 2) works, then you are probably having a ip-filtering mechanism to restrict accesses. Check whether you are using a network-based firewall, host-based firewall or tcpwrapper to filter connections.

Hope this helps. Regards.

Steven Sim Kok Leong
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Is there a /etc/resolv.conf file in the SQL server? If so, the /etc/nsswitch.conf file will determine whether the IP address will be security-checked by /etc/hosts or some DNS server. For database systems, don't rely on a DNS server for production. Always put the important addresses into /etc/hosts, then make sure nsswitch.conf has:

hosts: files[NOTFOUND=continue UNAVAIL=continue] dns [NOTFOUND=return UNAVAIL=continue TRYAGAIN=return]

This will insure that your server will not fail due to a DNS problem.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Chris Gersch
Occasional Advisor

Thanks all - just had to play around with the /etc/hosts file to make it recognise the appropriate hosts and flush-hosts within mysql and everything is working like a charm:)

Chris