Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hostname lenght

Jean Lefrancois_1
Occasional Visitor

Hostname lenght

What is the max lenght for the hostname on HP-UX. I remember in version 8 it was a maximun of 8 char.
4 REPLIES
Alan Riggs
Honored Contributor

Re: Hostname lenght

It remains 8. Backwards compatability with older utilities mandates this cap.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Jean:

Hostname and unname should be the same and therefore cannot exceed 8-characters. The length of the uname structure is defined in /usr/include/sys/utsname.h in "_SYS_NMLN" (see man 2 uname). Since this is a 9-character, null-terminated string, the maximum, safe, hostname size is eight (8).

...JRF...
Dan Hetzel
Honored Contributor

Hi Jean,

Even if the file sys/params.h define the maximum as being 64, quite a lot of stuff has been written assuming that hostname has a maximum length of 8 characters, so you shouldn't exceed 8.

Best regards,

Dan
Everybody knows at least one thing worth sharing -- mailto:dan.hetzel@wildcroft.com
Shannon Petry
Honored Contributor

Hostnames can be longer, but not recommended for compatibility with mostly MS products. ( The same reason Host1 and HOST1 are different in Unix, but both are HOST1 to windblows...Go Figure)

I have some hosts with 12 characters, and never had a problem. This is a pure Unix environment though.

If you want to stick with the 8 character, just remember you can CNAME and alias to anything you want. This is where the 64C limit would be imposed.
antidestablishmentarianism1 is a valid host alias! Of course I'd hate to have to run a few remote commands on that one! He He!

Regards,
Shannon
Microsoft. When do you want a virus today?