4917 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How I can prevent LineFeeds from received Mails

Krenzer
Advisor

How I can prevent LineFeeds from received Mails

Hello,

i must receive mails with 2 long lines (>200 characters). But sendmail put many line feeds in the mail. How i can prevent sendmail to do this ?

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

I don't believe sendmail does this at all. How do you read the email? elm? mailx? or some other client like Netscape or Outlook?

The best way to see the exact mail message is to simply use vi to look att the mail file in /var/mail/

What you see there is exactly what sendmail received and rmail delivered to the mailbox in /var/mail.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Krenzer
Advisor

Hi,

i'm send the email via outlook. When i send the email from Outlook to Outlook, the mail has the right format. But when i'm send the mail to the UNIX Server (11i), the format has changed. The email in /var/mail/user has the same incorrect format.
hmm,... i don't understand...
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Your first problem is comparing outloss to outloss, ... I mean outlook.

What is creating the emails in the first place? and have you looked at the raw email before it's received? Have you tried using a real email receiving program that won't destroy your machine (pc) with viruses, say like with Mozilla?

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi,

can you show a part of your mail?

Have you tested 'dos2ux'?
Try dos2ux 'filename' > 'new_filename'.

Regards
Volkmar
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Frank Slootweg
Honored Contributor

As other have said/implied, your problem is Outlook. When sending mail in Plain Text format, Outlook breaks up lines, in most cases to (less than) 75 characters per line.

Note that this is for Outlook (i.e. 97, 2000, etc.), not Outlook *Express*.