4544 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How To Find Documents?

SOLVED
Go to solution

Pete,

I wish I had a better answer for you, but the truth is I don't - believe me I'm no happier about it than you are... all I can suggest is that you make your feelings known in the strongest possible terms to your HP rep...

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Steve, thanks, but I've already tried that and it doesn't work and "eventually" doesn't do someone much good now.

Pete

Pete
Solution

Pete,

OK a little chink of light for you...

So I went to the main gateway to the BSC which is here:

http://www.hp.com/go/bizsupport

And then in the search field there did a search for "when good disks go bad"

At first glance it didn't return what I was looking for, but when I click on the first search item found which for some reason is entitled "Meet the HP Superdome servers", it does in fact turn out to be the whitepaper in question... the issue is that the title returned is just plain garbage... A little bit more playing indicates that the search facility does work reasonably well, but that I should not trust the document title to reflect whats there - more that I should read the first few lines of text under the title for a better guess at what I found...

It's still terrible, but at least something... I've raised this internally FWIW...

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

>Torsten: http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01911837/c01911837.pdf

I just want to ask about Business Support Center has any index file to research a document ,when I try to put "When good disks go bad" in search window, lots of docs appeared as Duncan said.

But headlines have no word I m looking for, so I tried to search in BSC by click on " Search Business Support Forums" , forwarded me to the Japan site of HP ?

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Torsten, yes, I saw your other thread but "how am I supposed to find that?" or maybe I should ask "how did you find that?".

Hakki, start your own thread if you have questions.

Pete

Pete
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

What's really bad is that there are perfectly correct ways to handle document renaming. In a .htaccess file, you can use the redirectpermanent command to handle old/new file location corrections until all of the web sites redirects have been found and crawled through. I know that in HPs case it would add a lot to this file, but in that case it's meant to be handled progressively - fixing some files, making the redirect, putting in a crawler to find missing links, etc.

If it's whole virtual directories being moved , the old alias command in the web server works well too.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

>Pete: Hakki, start your own thread if you have questions.

What made you think like that ,but I do not have extra question ,just about to find something useful about your question in another address.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

You can try google but include +bizsupport:
When_Good_Disks_Go_Bad HP site:hp.com + bizsupport
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=3367813

This morning I was trying to find a document using google and it still pointed at docs.hp.com, at the top! I'm surprised google doesn't notice the link is gone and find the real one. Though the cached copy was there.

>SEP: So eventually, google's database will come up to date.

How long? ;-)

>Down at the bottom of your link it references the When_Good_Disks_Go_Bad_WP.pdf link but, of course, the damn link is broken!

Unfortunately only the documents and "index" was moved, not the internal content of the documents.

>Duncan: all I can suggest is that you make your feelings known in the strongest possible terms to your HP rep.

I'll pass along this thread to my contacts. They did make the manpages clickable and add that document in Torsten's link.

>TwoProc: What's really bad is that there are perfectly correct ways to handle document renaming.

google was suppose to solve that problem. Along with a generic, "moved to BSC" message that gets you close.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Dennis,

That helps. I always used "+site:itrc.hp.com" for google searches but was unsure what to use for BSC.

Pete

Pete
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I always used "+site:itrc.hp.com" for google searches but was unsure what to use for BSC.

That works fine for the ITRC but for docs, you used to use docs.hp.com and now you need more depth. It seems this works:
site:hp.com/bizsupport

Hmm, but that seems to only find the "index" pages, not the contents.