Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How-To: "Listener" High Availability?

Rookie
Occasional Contributor

How-To: "Listener" High Availability?

I'm trying to configure databases high availability within HP9000 Cluster (Two nodes).
When node A fails, its database file systems are mounted in node B but I cannot access the node B database. I added both hosts names and oracle_sid's in each listener.ora file, but I cannot see the instance when I do "ps - eaf|grep pmon"; however when I try to startup the database manually It says database is already running and when trying to stop it I get "database not mounted".

Here is how I configured my hosts in listener.ora:

SQLNET.AUTENTICATION_SERVICES = (BEQ,NONE)
LISTENER =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS= (PROTOCOL= TCP)(HOST = HostA)(PORT = 1521))

(ADDRESS= (PROTOCOL= TCP)(HOST = HostB)(PORT = 1526))

...But I saw an example somewhere like this:

LISTENER =
( ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS =
(PROTOCOL=tcp)
(HOST=)
(PORT=1521)
(COMMUNITY=UK_SUP_TCPIP)
)
(ADDRESS =
(PROTOCOL=ipc)
(KEY=700)
(COMMUNITY=UK_SUP_TCPIP)
)
)

I didn't try this way cause I didn't know what is that Key=700.

Any suggestions please ???
2 REPLIES
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

Re: How-To: "Listener" High Availability?

Hi,

You need to configure your Serviceguard Package to have its own 'floating' IP address and configure the listener to listen on that address only.

Let me know if you need full details on how to configure this.

Regards,
John
Pramod_4
Trusted Contributor

Re: How-To: "Listener" High Availability?

Hi,

There is an IP associated with each package configured in MC/SG to make the package failover transparent to the end user and this IP is know as floating IP address.

This IP would be boud to the system on which the concerned package is running ( done by MC/SG control script) and all the user/application package must use this IP address for transparency.

From your input it seems that you haven't configured any floating IP with the package ( oracle) and you are using the IP address of the primary system in your package ( oracle ) configuration file.

You need to configure the Floating IP address in your control script and use that IP in your oracle config file instead of Host A IP address.

Refer the docs at http://www.docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/B3936-90026/B3936-90026.html for more informations.

Regards,

Pramod