Operating System - HP-UX
1751971 Members
4705 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How can I send e-mail to 10000 users ??

SOLVED
Go to solution
sysone
Occasional Contributor

How can I send e-mail to 10000 users ??

Hi!! there..

I have a HP9000/800 L2000 with HP-UX 11.00.
Can I send e-mail to 10000 users or NOT ??
Is there any limitation ??
How can I send e-mail to 10000 users ??

Thanks in advance
SysOne
9 REPLIES 9
Clemens van Everdingen
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

Yes you will be able to send mail to 10000 users.
Question is: are they on the same system
Answer: use aliases

Question is: are they on different systems and need they subscription.
Answer: yes --> use a mailing system like majordomo

See: http://www.greatcircle.com/majordomo/

Suc6.
C.
The computer is a great invention, there are as many mistakes as ever, but they are nobody's fault !
Anonymous
Not applicable

for sure not the fastest approach,
however, mailstorm-save(know people who reply-to-all?) without bcc:

cat file-with-one-address-per-line |while read L
do
cat your-message | mailx -s your-subject $L
done

Tony Rose
Advisor

I would recommend setting up Majordomo if you are going to continue to do this, but if this is one time thing you can use the alias function to create the "mailing list".

Just add an alias line to your alias file like this:

Ex:
listname : /usr/local/admin/groupmail/listname

where listname is the name of the "mailing list" you want to use.

After adding this to the alias file, run the "newaliases" command.

Then create the file you are pointing the alias to and put the email addresses in that file, one per line, like this:

user1@doman.com
user2@domain.com
etc.

Make sure you do a chmod 644 on the file as well.

You can then test the "function" of the list by doing a:

sendmail -bv listname

and if it works, you should get a long list of the email addresses (this will take a while to start working on 10000 addresses, so test it with only a hundred or so to see if the list is working and then add the rest).

Then to use the "mailing list" all you have to do is to compose the email to the listname@domain.com. I would however, as earlier recommended, use the listname address in the Bcc: field, or you are likely to get 10000 replies to the list!

Good luck,
-tony
Anu Mathew
Valued Contributor

Hello,

Since your are to send mails to 10,000 users at once, I would like to share some ideas here.

1) Sendmail does a sequential mail transfer. In case of real email ids, the MX hosts at the other end may not work well as expected all the times. It may take long time to deliver mails to many MX hosts and it will delay the clearing of your out-bound queue due to the sequential style of sendmail. My outbound queue for 17K email ids almost goes more than 24 hours to clear.

2) You may want to tweak the Queuereturn settings in the sendmail.cf, along with the couple of timeout settings. Most notorious of the timeouts is the "client timeout at DATA". Some remote MTAs just love to hang on at DATA.

3) Split that 10K into multiple aliases, thereby creating multiple queues.

4) In case you have a relay server to which your Sendmail server hands over the out-bound mail, that is a perfect solution. Sendmail passes chunks of mails (ncrpts=20??) to the relay.

5) Go for MDAs like Qmail. I heard that it works more parallel than Sendmail, thereby clearing out Queues more rapidly. But, as for me, I stick with the Sendmail since I know it better than any other MDAs.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Anu Mathew
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

I hope it's not spam :-)

n/a

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Christopher Caldwell
Honored Contributor

Another technique for optimizing delivery is to take advantage of sendmail's cached connections. Sort your lists in order by recipient's domain. Thus when sendmail connects to say aol.com, sendmail will deliver *all* the queued mail to aol.com without reconnecting to aol.com if you've built your list in domain order.
Anu Mathew
Valued Contributor

Well, as far as the mails that I send, they are not spam, but legitimate mails.

Anu Mathew
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Harry, Harry,

have you been hit by a korean spammer recently (like most of us)?
Perhaps not every mass-mailer from there is a spammer... ;-)

Peace - I know this is off-topic
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Wodisch,

I bet I get over 50 spam's a day between my business and home email addresses. I guess my "smiley face" was missed ":-)". I really believe that spammers should face the death penalty or something worse, like having to read hillary's book (I bet that one will be very philosophical :-)))))))

I never blame any country for it's ignorant businesses, hell my country has more spamming crap than any other. I never get spam's in french or spanish!

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die