Operating System - Microsoft
1752292 Members
4930 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How can I set the global default Internet Explorer cache and Cookie settings on a multi-user compute

John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

How can I set the global default Internet Explorer cache and Cookie settings on a multi-user compute

I have seen enough from the M$ family of products to know that there is a default setting somewhere in the system that sets what the default means of handling the size of the temp IE cache and the way that they system controls (accepts/denies) cookies.

It has been my experience that the default size of the Internet cache, for example, is WAY too big on all of the machines that we are using for business (the newest XP machines default to about 1GIG of space for each users??? cache!). Since there are between 2 to 30 users on each computer (each with their own profile and cache) you can see where this would fill up a hard drive in a very short period of time. Where is this default set and how do I make a ???global??? change on it to bring it down to something more reasonable?

While we are in the process of making ???global??? user changes, how would I set the default cookie handling for each user to deny anything but session cookies? Thanks to the current M$ default, it accepts pretty much everything and users are starting to get way to much ???unwanted??? I-net traffic and pop-ups. I can manually run a program to clean these up at times, but it would be much more efficient to stop it at the source.

Before you say something about having each user manually making these settings on their own, please realize that there are a vast number of these users that wouldn???t know what a cookie was or have any concept of what an overly-large cache file could do to a system.

I guess I???m looking for a way to protect them from their own ignorance ;-)

PS I LIKE giving out points for answers. The better the answer, the more points (that???s a promise!!)
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." Stephen Krebbet, 1793-1855
17 REPLIES 17
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Re: How can I set the global default Internet Explorer cache and Cookie settings on a multi-user compute

Try under the following:
HKEY_Users / .DEFAULT / Software / Microsoft / Windows / CurrentVersion / Internet Settings.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Re: How can I set the global default Internet Explorer cache and Cookie settings on a multi-user compute

More info.. You're most interested in what is under the Cache area (Content, Cookies).

Please test prior to points (may only work during initial account creation and IE setup, and NOT be a global setting).

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Jay Bollyn
Honored Contributor

John,

Please let us know if Jon's suggestion works. I have been unable to find a registry tweak that will do what you need, either for global IE cache size or cookies. The default IE cache size is 10% of free disk space. This might have made sense years ago, but not with the size of HDDs today.

MS's suggestion (through TechNet) is to install IEAK, see here:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/default.asp?url=/technet/archive/columns/inside/8-30-99.asp

The installation of IEAK is not trivial. I was unable to get through it successfully. I just gave up on it, because I thought you are not going to go with that option, anyway.

I do think that IEAK will probably let you take care of both IE cache size and cookies.

FYI: We have several subscription databases that we access through IE6. The cookie setting must be "accept all cookies" for these databases to work.

:-) Jay

check Facebook
Jim Mallett
Honored Contributor

I tried out Jon's suggestion this weekend and wasn't able to get it to work, I was so hopeful too. This is one of those things I've always wanted to figure out but never had time.
It seemed no matter what I set the registry at, when I created and logged in as a new user the defaults never changed.
Still plugging away at this though....

Jim
Hindsight is 20/20
John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

Jon,

It would appear as if the thought was a good one, but it didn???t create the results that I was wanting. The search still continues.

FYI ??? I noticed that there were actually two different places that had the cache and history areas. There was one that looked like it was just ???straight Windoze??? and there was another that was listed as ???5.0???. I???m assuming that it is referring to Internet Exploder 5.0, but I could be wrong.

I also think that we may be on to something with the idea that we can change all settings for the cache for each future user if we find the correct setting in this area, but there is obviously some place that saves this type of information for each user as well. I can testify to this simply because my cache is now limited to 5MG while all the rest are still running right at 1Gig.

Let???s also not forget the cookie settings while we???re at this, ok? ;-)

Thanks for the first wave of ideas. Lets move on to round two???
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." Stephen Krebbet, 1793-1855
John Yu_1
Valued Contributor

I believe the correct values are in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Internet Settings/Cache/...

There are values for CacheLimit in both Path and Special Path subtrees.

cheers,
-john
Artificial intelligence is rarely a match for natural stupidity.
John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

John,

It seems that you are on the right track, but what I found there seems only to apply to my current cache size, not that of all users.

Am I to be reduced to searching for each person???s logon ID and manually changing each and every one of them by hand??

Please say it isn???t so??? ;-(
Derek_31
Valued Contributor

I changed everyone's cache settings by adding the registry key tweak to a user logon script. That way it runs for everyone every time they login. It's been working fine for me.
John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

Derek,

I have never had to use a logon script for any users, but I have heard of the concept many times.

Could you offer more information on how you have accomplished this using a logon script? Examples would be appreciated???