Operating System - HP-UX
1753260 Members
4686 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How do I boot from (make_recovery) tape ?

Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

I think you need to verify if the tape was created successfully as you are not able to find the boot area on it.

I assume your system is still up and running.
As you used C option, do a quick check by running check_recovery.

Also you can find out if the boot area is properly copied on the tape by using copy_boot_tape

#/opt/ignite/bin/copy_boot_tape -u /dev/rmt/??n -b -d /your_directory

This should successfully dump the boot area called boot_image in your_directory

Also verify if everything is fine on the tape by doing

#mt -t /dev/rmt/0mn fsf 1
#tar tvf /dev/rmt/0mn

If everything is fine, then the system shouldn't have any problem finding it as a bootable media.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Marco Varenkamp
Occasional Advisor

Hi Sridar,
I've checked the tape. I think the tape is fine. (I have attached a log file of the copy_boot_tape command)
The tar archive could be read also.

The tape device I use is a HP6400/2000.
Is it possible that it is not compatible?
regards
Marco
John Waller
Esteemed Contributor

Marco,

Searching through the HP site I found a previous question regarding connecting a HP6400 Tape drive to a C110 workstation. It mentioned that the HP6400 was a FWSCSI tape drive. If this is the case then you may have a problem that the F/W interface is not initialised at system startup so will not support any drives connected as bootable devices. This is only a guess, but perhaps somebody with a bether hardware knoledge of the HP6400 or the C3700 Work Station can confirm / deny this theory.
Sachin Patel
Honored Contributor

Hi Marco,
your dirve is FW-SCSI. Are you sure you have hook up that drive on correct (FW) port?

Sachin
Is photography a hobby or another way to spend $
John Bolene
Honored Contributor

Could be true.

We only use single-ended drives as we found that the FW drives could not be booted from.

Never figured out why, just found out what works and went with that solution.
It is always a good day when you are launching rockets! http://tripolioklahoma.org, Mostly Missiles http://mostlymissiles.com
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

OK. I think this should be a firmware compatibiity issue where FW drives cannot be recognized. Since the tape has been successfully verified, I would suggest to try with a SingleEnded scsi drive if you have the interface.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Hendrik Schade
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

yes you are right, that's the way you boot from a tape device. The "sea" command should show you all scsi devices like disks, cd-drives and tape drives independent on the fact that they contain really boot medias. That means if the "sea" doesn't find your tape it seems to be a hardware problem and has nothing to do with the contents of the recovery tape. So you should check the SCSI connection, the tape drive itself, etc.

Hendrik
Marco Varenkamp
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
the tape is a single-ended one.
I think that there is a hardware problem...