108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How long do you keep patch software?

SOLVED
Go to solution
James Brand
Frequent Advisor

How long do you keep patch software?

How long do people keep the patches in /var/adm/sw/save (or /var/adm/sw/patch for HP-UX 10.20)? This is for backoff purposes which we hardly ever do, especially after a week or two. Yet we never delete these except the superseded ones with a % in front. Some of our servers have 500 MB in this directory. Does it seem reasonable to delete the patches over six months old?

Thanks in advance,
Jim
12 REPLIES 12
John Poff
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: How long do you keep patch software?

We keep ours for a year and then delete them. We patch quarterly, so that keeps the last four rounds of patches for us. Six months is probably plenty of time to save them.

JP
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

HI James,

First, NEVER delete without using one of the
software tools. The best utility is 'cleanup' and it will remove the software in a safe manner and allow you to keep as many past revisions as you like. For my purposes, I've fould that 1 previous revision is sufficient.

I typically install the General Release first on a sandbox. Test it there and then after about 2 weeks move to test environment and finally when scheduling permits, move the patchset into production. Using that scheme, 1 revision back has never failed me and it is very rare that I have ever had to roll a patch back out.

My 2 cents, Clay
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi James:

As Clay said, use *ONLY* the 'cleanup' utility to manage /var/adm/sw. Failure to do otherwise can lead to a system that cannot be patched!

On 10.20, use run 'cleanup' without any options to leave one level of superseded patches available for reinstatement.

With 11.x, you can choose the depth to which you keep superseded patches. This is controlled by the '-c' option of 'cleanup'.

One method of managing patches is to do the cleanup *before* you start your next patch application.

...JRF...
Sachin Patel
Honored Contributor

That is great guys. I didn't know about this cleanup things. I generally remove from /var/*.
Thank God I am not in trouble yet.

Sachin
Is photography a hobby or another way to spend $
John Poff
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Just to clarify my previous post, 'delete' probably wasn't the best word to use. When I 'delete' patches I'm actually doing an 'swmodify -x patch_commit=true' on the patch. Of course, Clay and James are correct [ as usual :-) ]. It looks like you could just go into /var/adm/sw/save and start rm'ing things, but you can't. You've gotta use 'cleanup' or 'swmodify'.

JP
Deshpande Prashant
Honored Contributor

HI
I use the cleanup utility to comit the patches that are atleast twice superseeded. Some time I commit the patch that's once superseeded and is taking more space (aprox.>20MB)using swmodify command. The only reason to keep old patches is in case you need to remove the it. (eg. Patch being recalled by HP).
Thanks.
Prashant Deshpande.
Take it as it comes.
James Brand
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for all of the responses but I'm a little confused. The man page on cleanup only refers to depots. I'm concerned with the rollback files in /var/adm/sw/save. Am I missing something here?
Deshpande Prashant
Honored Contributor

Hi
You can use the cleanup utility on system as well as depot.
#cleanup -p -c 2 -d @ will list all patches superseeded twice, on given depot. If you omit "-p" option then same will be commited.

#cleanup -p -c 2 will list patches superseeded twice on system.

Thanks.
Prashant Deshpande.
Take it as it comes.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again) James:

Make sure you have the latest 'cleanup' patches:

For 10.20: PHSS_20824
For 11.0 : PHSS_24347

'cleanup' will recover space in /var/adm/sw/save appropriately.

...JRF...