BladeSystem - General
1751972 Members
4603 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How long should it take to assign a VC profile to a server?

idanby
Visitor

How long should it take to assign a VC profile to a server?

Newbie question - Is it normal for profile assignments to take upwards to 15 minutes or is there something wrong with my system?

3 REPLIES 3
LouisH
Valued Contributor

Idanby,

Well that really depends on your Blade configuration. When we apply a server profile to a blade, the blade is powered off. the profile is applied and server powers up. After POST is run, the server reboots to apply NIC personality settings (from Virtual Connect). so depending on Memory, and installed options.....it will take awhile. There is a Customer Advisory about the G8's and G9's defaulting to "boot from network" and r e a l l y taking a long time to boot/reboot.

Maybe that is what you are running up against?

Regards,

Louis

idanby
Visitor

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

The slowness was when trying to apply the profile to a blade, with that application taking up to 35 minutes.  I tried failing over to the second Flex10 and then back again.  Each failover took a long time and didn't solve the problem.

Using the OA CLI to reset every server solved it.  Profile applications now happen quickly.  The symptoms and resolution appear to be similar to a supposedly fixed bug where nvram can be corrupted during certain power-cycle events.  I guess it might not be totally fixed.

TobiasW
Visitor

Hello. Have you upgraded firmware on OA, Flex and Blades?