Operating System - HP-UX
1751966 Members
4576 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How many people would you employ for sysadmin / dba ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Khalid A. Al-Tayaran
Valued Contributor

Hi Alexander,

I menat 2 guys per shift.

Our env. we have 8 HP-UX machines and 4 Windows based. 4 HP machines are running Oracle databases and 2 Windows machines are also running Oracle...

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Alexander,

You need at least two people that are well cross trained. A third person that could cover for either of the other two would be ideal. Finding such multi-talented people is the hardest part.

We're a smaller shop: 2 HP servers and a few workstations, several Informix databases, one SysAdmin/DBA, one DBA/SysAdmin, light on the cross training.

Pete

Pete
Con O'Kelly
Honored Contributor

Hi Alexander

My view is that often the number of people required is related to how well the systems are setup.

If the systems have been properly setup with good system monitoring in place, smooth backup process, regular cleanup scripts, good filesystem sizing, systems that are properly sized for the workload etc etc then 1 person should easily handle the HP-UX side with time left over to get involved in DBA side of things.
Its often when backups are regularly failing, filesystems are filling up & systems are completely overloaded that you need more people.

I am not as familiar on Oracle side of things but I'd guess that 2-3 DBA's should be fine. With that in mind I say around 3 people should be enough - 2 good DBAs and a good HP-UX Admin with some Oracle knowledge.
Definitely need some cross training so can cover holidays, sickies etc.

Cheers
Con

Khalid A. Al-Tayaran
Valued Contributor

I forgot to mention that we are currently two people managing these servers...
Keith Bevan_1
Trusted Contributor

Alexander,

The answer to you question really depends on the scope and magnitude of system documentation,procedures and level of resiliance you want to build into day to day operations and support.

ie do you want cover when staff are off sick.
are the systems fully documented and
supported internally or externally.
Cost implications of head counts

Keith
You are either part of the solution or part of the problem
Keith Bevan_1
Trusted Contributor

Alexander,

The answer to you question really depends on the scope and magnitude of your business,the systems involved, IT documentation/procedures and level of admin work required.

You may wish to consider how much resiliance you want to build into day to day operations and support.

ie do you want cover when staff are off sick.
are the systems fully documented.
are your system supported by external
vednors or internal only.

You may also have to consider the cost
implications associated with more staff,
salaries,training etc etc.

Keith
Keith Bevan_1
Trusted Contributor

Alexander,

Oops !!!!

I sent a minor revised reply after the original.

Please read the second one but as you have already assigned points to the first, I would be grateful if you would not assign any to the second one.

Keith
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

As Robert-Jan said,
Two, one very good admin and one in the learning phase.

If your systems have been properly designed and tuned, one DBA will be sufficient.

Give him the right tools and access to all the information he need, you can be sure everything will go smoothly.

Cheers
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
doug mielke
Respected Contributor

we are 24 x 7, on based in US, but with offices in Asia, Australia and Europe. 600+ users.

9 HP 9000s
5 Wintel apps/Oracle servers
12 instances

1 dba
1 Apps speclst.
1 sysadm / ops manager

And when systems are set up well, and automated processes in place, it's tolorable.
New system, or problems in the mix, and we suffer. Holidays always a problem.
John Payne_2
Honored Contributor

I think you have a pretty good setup, idealy so if you can get those guys good at sysadmin. (And good at DBA.)

I was 1 sysadmin for 50 HPUX servers. I was always busy. When I went one a trip and something really bad happened that the other UNIX sysadmins could do anything about, I dialed in. (I had to rebuild a server over a dailup at my parents house back in March. Took all night and part of the next day.)

Now we are 2 sysadmins for 50 HPUX servers. We are busy all the time, but I can leave once in a while and if something really bad happens, I know that I can at least talk someone through things, at least until he finishes his training and feels comfortable. Even though we are still very busy, it is really nice to have the backup. (I can actually relax once in a while.)

The main thing is to have redundancy. Maybe you have a backup that won't know everything to do, but you will have someone who at least understands more than just the basics. They have HPUX concepts down, and you don't have to do everything single-handedly...

Hope it helps

John
Spoon!!!!