Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Change the Mouse Color?

preeti singh
Occasional Visitor

How to Change the Mouse Color?

Hi, I need to change the COLOR of my mouse in Linux for ALL applications. Can anyone tell me what is the best way to do that.

I am preety much planning on writing an automated script that just randomly changes the color of the mouse.

I tried "xsetroot -curosor " but if the file is .xbm type it doesn't let me change its color. If the file is .bmp type if i change the color it says invalid bmp file.

I need help in this really urgent... I've been trying to figure out on my own but no hope Please help.

Thanks

5 REPLIES
Sergejs Svitnevs
Honored Contributor

Re: How to Change the Mouse Color?

You can set cursor color in /home//.Xdefaults file or on the command line interface (read the man page for xterm "man xterm").

Regards,
Sergejs
preeti singh
Occasional Visitor

But what do I write in .Xdefaults... I want the mouse color to change for all applications, i.e. Mozilla, etc. not just for xterm.

Thanks
Sergejs Svitnevs
Honored Contributor

Most apps do control
the shape and color of the mouse-pointer themselves and this is usually
set with X resources or command-line options.

Sergejs

John Meissner
Esteemed Contributor

is this for a practical joke on a coworker? a mouse constantly changing colors would drive me crazy after a short time. If you do manage to accomplish this I'd like to know so I could change a coworkers mouse.... i'm a bit of a prankster at times.
All paths lead to destiny
preeti singh
Occasional Visitor

no actually its not a joke... i don't know if you are familiar with Virtual network computing. i have developed a program that would allow vnc connection to several vnc servers at the same time , you can go from one server to another by simply gliding the cursor to the end of the screen. but if several clients connect to one vnc server we have a problem of identification of whose mouse is whose. thus thats why I need a different id for each vnc connection.
ya.. i think i almost got it... will let u know.. in few days