Operating System - OpenVMS
1753500 Members
3263 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to FTP from MVS to OPENMVS

Michelle Daw

How to FTP from MVS to OPENMVS

I am having problems ftp'ing from a mainframe MVS system to OPENMVS. The command i was given is the following: cd '$1$DGA2:[Dealers.999]'. It is not working. I have been able to ftp manually from WSFTP to the directories but when i change directories it looks like: $1$DGA2:[000000.DEALERS.999] I tried using this in the ftp process in MVS and it doesn't work either. I have even tried to ftp to the $1$DGA2: directory and it's not working either. PLEASE HELP
5 REPLIES 5
Craig A Berry
Honored Contributor

Be sure you are not wrapping the path specification in single quotes:

ftp> cd $1$DGA2:[Dealers.999] ! right

not

ftp> cd '$1$DGA2:[Dealers.999]' ! wrong

Try the pwd command to see where you are when you first log in.

Are you getting any error messages? "It is not working" could mean a lot of different things.
Martin Johnson
Honored Contributor

Have you tried to set up logicals in the OpenVMS account (i.e. edit LOGIN.COM and assign logicals to the directories you want to copy files into/outof).

That way OpenVMS will translate to the correct directory.

HTH
Marty

P.S. If you are really using the single quotes, that is your problem.
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Depending on how many files you need to get you might not even need to change direcotry i.e. a

get $1$dka2:[dealers.999]foo.bar foo.bar
should work without changing the directory first.

And yes the quotes are an issue ;-) (which easily can happen if you are familiar with MVS since there they are required in certain circumstances).
Michelle Daw

Thank you everyone.... I removed the single quotes and put the hex value in for the square brackets. The problem was that MVS didn't have the ability to just use the [ or ]. I fixed it and it ftp's wonderfully now.

Thanks to all!
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Just for the benefit of others in the same situation: You do not need to use [] brackets, <> is acceptable for VMS too, i.e.

$1$dga2:[dealers.999] can be replaced by
$1$dga2: