Operating System - Linux
1752786 Members
5866 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

How to Install Linux Red Hat AS 3.0 on RPOLIANT DL380 G4

How to Install Linux Red Hat AS 3.0 on RPOLIANT DL380 G4

Hi, I would like to install Linux RedHat Advance Server 3.0 on a HP PROLIANT DL380 G4, but i´m getting trouble beacuse after boot from CD Install 1, I get a message: "No hard Drives have been found. You probably need to manually choose device drivers for the installation for succeed…".

I tryed to download some drives I found on HP support site, but doesn´t work. What do I have to do to Install this version of Linux on this HP Server?, Where can i ownload the current drivers?.

I Tryed installing Linux RedHat 4 and i have no problems or error messages, but in this company, they need RedHat AS 3.0 installed on taht server.

Thanks for Your Help!
6 REPLIES 6
Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor

Re: How to Install Linux Red Hat AS 3.0 on RPOLIANT DL380 G4

1) use CD with the latest RHEL3 update level
2) if it still doesn't work, use this driver floppy: http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/101_5561.html#74

rgds,
Vitaly
Subramaniyan.S
Advisor

Hi,

Please find out the HDD controller model (SCSI)& download the respective driver.

Dump the driver image in to a floppy using "rawrite" utility or "dd" command.

Boot through the RH CD1 and enter "linux dd" at the boot prompt.

After a while, It will ask you for the driver disk, insert this floppy and continue with the rest of the installation.

Note: You should download the exact driver for the Harddisk controller.

rgds,

Subbu.
The sole advantage of power is that you can do more good
Vipulinux
Respected Contributor

Hi

In order to install redhat linux on a Proliant DL380 server you will need to download Redhat Linux AS 3.0 update 1 or above...as this one has the modules required to read the smart array drives.

To make the installation work smoothly just download the latest Redhat AS 3.0 iso's

Cheers
Vipul

Hi again!. I just wanted to say that finally I installed Linux RH 3 on this server. I have to say that I tried whit many Linux RedHat 3.x versions (3.0, 3.1, 3.2 ... 3.6).

Since Linux RH version 3.3, it is posible to find the Hard Disk Smart Array without install any Driver.

The only problem that I found using this verion of Linux, is that if you are going to use java, you have to set the Path of the J2SDK you installed at the beggining of the String var PATH inside .profile. After that, everything is ok!.

I finally installed Linux Red Hat AS 3.6, thanks for your help. I hope this comments help some body else.

rgrds
Jonathan E. Deady
Frequent Advisor

Have you used the built in array utility to configure a volume on the drives. Until this is done you will have the problem. I think it's F-9 at boot. After that you can just install. I manage 34 DL 380G4's that I built and never needed a special driver to complete the install.
Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor

You're welcome!

BTW, you can assign *points* [http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#28] for our answers, so we'll be happy to help you next time!

Rgds,
Vitaly