1748180 Members
4262 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to backup-recovery HPUX 9.04

Panuwat
Advisor

How to backup-recovery HPUX 9.04

I have HPUX 9.04. I want to change the hard disk. The old disk contain the OS and data. How to backup the old disk and restore to the new disk. Who can help me.
2 REPLIES 2
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Re: How to backup-recovery HPUX 9.04

Hi,

HP-UX 9.04 is obsolete. Besides, if you bought your new disk recently, it's very probable that you will face incompabilities at firmware or driver versions. My advice to you is to upgrade to a new server with new OS (HP-UX 11i).

PS: I hope you still need help...

Kindest Regards,

Eric Antunes
Each and every day is a good day to learn.
John J Read
Frequent Advisor

Re: How to backup-recovery HPUX 9.04

Are you just testing our memories or are you a die-hard OS junkie? I used to keep as many versions of Unix running as possible as a hobby but ran out of servers. Linux is fun because you can keep several versions installed on a single partitioned hard disk or use vmware. Anyway, back in "the day" I used to simply re-install HP-UX, tune the kernel, then restore applications in /opt or /usr, restore /home and files in /etc as needed to replace a hard disk. It's not as hard as you would think once you get started. Eric may be right about firmware problems but it's worth a try if you still have the OS install media. It would be better if your VG00 is raid protected but if you only have one disk, I would just re-install.

Good luck, let us know how if you keep this dinosaur alive!