Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to compile and link the PRO*C source file in HP-UX?

MA Qiang
Regular Advisor

How to compile and link the PRO*C source file in HP-UX?

I do not want to use the makefile which is provided by oracle demo. Because I will link some special objects for my application.
Please give me some command line samples:

proc iname=test1.pc
cc -o test1.c myobj.o -IXXX -LYYY -lZZZ
I don't know which options should be used.
How to set XXX, YYY and ZZZ?

Thank you!
5 REPLIES
H.Merijn Brand (procura
Honored Contributor

Re: How to compile and link the PRO*C source file in HP-UX?

I just don't believe that what the example states is correct, because -o test1.c would use "test1.c" as *outpur* of the compiler

-IXXX is a (repeated) list of include folders

cc -I/usr/local/include -I. -I/why/do/we/need/oracle/version_11/include ...

these specify the locations of where the header/include files can be found when a source file doe

#include

-LYYY indicates where the linker (ld) can find the (shared) libraries when turning the objects into executables. These will not be handled by cc, but passed to ld

cc -o test1 test1.o -L/usr/lib -L/usr/local/lib -L/still/using/oracle\?/lib ...

-lZZZ is a (repeated) list of libraries the object needs to be able to run. These (shared) libraries will be found in the locations you just specified with -L

cc -o test1 test1.o -L/usr/local/lib -lc -lm -lmysql ...

Since Oracle is a product that complies to no standards whatsoever, I cannot tell you where it is installed, nor what your flags could be. A good indication might be your environment flag $ORACLE_HOME.

All this is explained in

# man cc

and

# man ld

Sorry for the sceptic tone, but I realy realy realy don't like Oracle. It's super for end-users, but it's like hell for developers

Enjoy, Have FUN! H.Merijn
MA Qiang
Regular Advisor

I want to know which LIBs I should link for oracle PRO*C.

Regards.
H.Merijn Brand (procura
Honored Contributor

I cannot tell from here.

if your test1.c looks like

--8<---
int main (int argc, char *argv[])
{
return 0);
} /* main */
-->8---

You don't have to link *any* oracle libs at all. What you have to link completely depends on what functionality your C program has.

I also depends on which version of Oracle you are running, and if it is 32bit or 64bit.

It also depends on what C compiler you use

It probably also depends on the phase of the moon when I think back of all the problems I had with Oracle and migrations between all the versions of it.

A typical application at our site for HP-UX 11i in 64bit mode for Oracle-9.2 looks like

cc +DA2.0w -o /applic/bin/applic -g -L/applic/local/lib -L/junk/oracle/v920/lib here.a version.o \
-lpthread -lcl \
-lfoo -lbar -lbaz -lurk -lsys -lcurses -lclntsh -lcl -lm -lmc -lssl -lcrypto -lc -lmb -lpcre \
-lcl -lm -l:libcl.a

Does that help?

Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I'm not sure if I understood the question but you can use the INCLUDE to tell Pro*C what directory my header files are in:

proc iname=inputfile.pc include=directory1 include=directory2...

Best Regards,

Eric Antunes
Each and every day is a good day to learn.
Jean-Luc Oudart
Honored Contributor

HI

-l specifies the name of the library to include.
-L (before -l option) tells the linker to search for the library in this path 1st before searching in default location
-lx is for library name libx.sl or libx.a
cf. man cc

also I suggest you check these document on Metalink regarding Pro*C :

Note:9743.1 Understanding and Modifying Precompiler and OCI Makefiles
Note:170345.1 How to Create and Use Libraries in Pro*C
Note:100741.1 Linking in User-Supplied Libraries Using Pro*C
Note:68164.1 Pro*C Makefiles in 8.0 Explained

Regards
Jean-Luc

fiat lux