108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to create 2nd instance on oracle 9i by GUI

SOLVED
Go to solution
Asif_8
Regular Advisor

How to create 2nd instance on oracle 9i by GUI

I have HP-UX 11i Already one instance runing how create 2nd instance same machine.
What is a procedure
4 REPLIES 4
Alzhy
Honored Contributor
Solution

Login to Oracle on an X-Environment .. export your DISPLAY and launch "dbca" -- database configuration assistant.. All graphical GUI front-end to Oracle instance creation, etc.
Hakuna Matata.
Asif_8
Regular Advisor

hi !
Thanks

no need to first shutdown the running database

no need to set envirments
ORACLE_SID
ORACLE_HOME and other variable
no need to edit init.ora

Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Brownie points?

; ^ )
Hakuna Matata.
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi Asif,

You need not shutdown the database that is currently being used.

You can create the second database using the dbassist GUI tool.

When you use the tool as oracle user then the environment varibales like ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_BASE should be set to the correct version of the oracle home directories.

When you use the GUI make sure you specify the SID name different form the one that is being used, and the files names and path names should be different form the ones that already exist. When you specify the parameter file location and name and the parameters then the GUI tool will create the init.ora file in that location.
But make sure you have the directories for the paths you will be specifing.

Once you had completed all the steps in the GUI tool then you will be given a choice to save the scripts or go a head with the creation of the instance.

You can do either. But saving the scripts and then runing them manually, sonthat you can redirect the output logs to verify for errors. Adn also if you required to change any thing then you can edit the scripts before executing them.

It should be a straingfarward procedure.
Wish you good luck

Indira A
Never give up, Keep Trying