Operating System - Microsoft
1752795 Members
5775 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to create/dial a connection automatically?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Matthew Clarke
Regular Advisor

How to create/dial a connection automatically?

I have a computer that i would like to automatically connect to our vpn after the user has logged in.

the link/connection has been created, and the proper credentials have been suppplied. how can the connection be established without human interaction? ie) not hitting enter, or clicking connect.

OS = windows xp pro

TIA,

matt
if you dont ask, you will never know :)
4 REPLIES 4
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Check if this information helps you:

http://techrepublic.com.com/5138-10877-5755430.html?part=ciscopress&subj=1587051834&tag=tr.dl
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

If the created connection produces an icon/shortcut, place that shortcut in the User's startup group (Programs, Startup).

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Robert S. Carr
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Matt:

Just to add a little info to what Jon posted above:

When you created the VPN connection using the New Connection Wizard you will be given a choice as to whether you want Windows to automatically or manually connect. If you have multiple connections, manual may be best but if it's the same connection, then auto.

To get to the step of choosing Auto or manual:

1. In the New Connection Wizard click 'Connect to the network at my workplace' then click Next. Now click on 'Virtual Private Network connection' then Next

2. After this enter a name for the connection. Next.

3. Here is where you choose Auto or Manual. Manual is just 'Do not dial the initial connection'. Auto is 'Automatically dial this connection' and choose what connection to dial from the drop downbox.

This works well when there is a single or frequently used connection. If the machine is moved from place to place and the situation changes for the user in question, using hardware profiles might be a suitable solution. We use this exact same method at work and it has worked well for us.

Let the forum know how it goes. Feedback helps in letting others with similar problems know what works and what doesn't.

Good luck.

Rob
Matthew Clarke
Regular Advisor

Robert - Perfect! thanks

Jon - This was my initial set up.

Ivan - Thankyou, but Robert's solution was what i was looking for.

Thanks all!

Matt
if you dont ask, you will never know :)