Operating System - HP-UX
1748031 Members
5148 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to disable banner printing in HP-UX 11.11?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bob Fonacier
Occasional Advisor

How to disable banner printing in HP-UX 11.11?

How do I disable banner printing in HP-UX?
After creating the printer, almost all prints came up with an annoying banner. This is quite urgent as Finance needs to print checks.
Pls help.
8 REPLIES 8
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: How to disable banner printing in HP-UX 11.11?

Bob,

Use "lp -onb".

Pete

Pete
Dave Hutton
Honored Contributor

If your using the HP Jet Direct Printer installer you can turn off banners by doing this:
#/opt/hpnpl/bin/hppi
option 1
option 2
Type in the printer your changing.
Go to 4 "Additional printer changes..."
Option 3 "Banner Page" to off.

Dave
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Typically you want to make "no banner" the default so that -onb (or whatever) is the specific "no banner" -o option for your particular print queue. There is no system-wide banner/ no banner setting. cd /var/spool/lp (and typically cd to model.orig). Edit each desired interface and set BANNER="" near the top of the file. Each model script is a little different but look for "banner" and see how it is set. If these are JetDirect printers, you will also need to telnet to each printer and set banner off and save the configuration.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Bob Fonacier
Occasional Advisor

Thanks all for the immediate response. I'll assign points later on after I sorted this problem.
In our case we're printing from Oracle Financial applications. When I tested direct printing from unix, it's also printing banners.
Our configuration is like this, from Unix it will go to our print server, then to Ricoh printer. Where will I configure? I change the entry "lp" to "lp -onobanner" in the $ORACLE_HOME/reports60/admin/printer/spoolcmd.sh file, but no luck.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

In your case, the Ricoh is probably configured as a "Remote" (LPD protocol) printer rather than a "Network" (JetDirect protocol) printer. In that case, edit the interface file under /var/spool/lp/printername and set BSDh="-h" to suppress the banner.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Bob Fonacier
Occasional Advisor

Thanks A. Clay and others. Although quite a stressnous exercise for me because I have to configure ALL printers.
What I did was to remove banner printing for each printers:
cd /var/spool/lp/interface
cp
chown lp:lp *
vi
#Edit BSDh="-h"
Keith Bevan_1
Trusted Contributor

Bob,

Additional info :-

If you are using remote printers and the lp scheduler you need to tackle this at source rather than from the print server.

Try swapping the -onobanner for :-

-oBSDh

In you application software you may be able to configure a queue to use the unix lpd queue and assign the -oBSDh flag then.

This would have the benefit of removing the banner as soon as the application has generated the printed job, and before it reaches the prinserver or the ricoh.

Keith
You are either part of the solution or part of the problem
Bob Fonacier
Occasional Advisor

Hi Keith,

Actually I like to tackle this at source for all print jobs, so that I don't have to update each printer file at /var/spool/lp/interface.

How do I do this on Oracle Applications 11i reports? By the way I can't find "-onobanner" in unix, or should this be done on the Oracle side?

Bob