Operating System - HP-UX
1753856 Members
7272 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to display international characters?

Miguel_8

How to display international characters?

I am trying to display Portuguese characters like '??' and '??' but the HP/UX 11.0 console, the telnet window or the X window don't allow me to.
I have tried a couple of suggestions/sources but am getting nowhere.
I am sure there is a way to input and display these international characters. Can anyone help me on this or direct me to a good information source?
Thanks,

Miguel
6 REPLIES 6
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: How to display international characters?

LC_CTYPE=ISO-8859-1 should cover Portuguese, but you might want to try (ISO646-PT2).

live free or die
harry

Live Free or Die
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hello Miguel,

ASCII-terminal usually do not permit that (except they are delivered with the localized keyboard).
X-Windows does permit it, but only, if
- you have a font cotaining the glyphs you want
- you have a program showing those
- you have a program accepting those as input

Except for the very old Bourne shell (/usr/old/bin/sh) with "stty -istrip cs8" the shells do NOT accept 8-bit characters as input :-(
Use the X-windows font display tool to show the font you are interested in (xfd -fn FONTNAME), and "xlsfonts | more" to get the list of fonts available on your X-terminal.

HTH,
Wodisc
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Hi,
You need to have particular language supporting environment( like we have asian supporting environment for japanese, chinese, korea..)Even if you try to install patches for the language support without the supporting environment you get error.

Language supporting environment needs to buy from HP.
never give up
Miguel_8

I have tried your suggestions but without success. I can see the portuguese characters if I "cat" a file with them.
But I can not input them using the keyboard (the goal is to use sqlplus from Oracle).
So I guess it should be keyboard related.
I have even installed Reflection X but I am with the same problem (the keyboard map is set to "portugal.kmp" and the host to "Generic").
I am almost sure this is a configuration problem.
Any other tips?
Thanks,
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

start by man locale

Sorry I can't help more.. I can add however that in Japan the 16bit character consoles do exist (in form of xterminals) on 11.00.. so I don't see why there should be a problem with Portugese...

Miguel, did you as the response center in Lisbon?..
I bet they'd know!

Bill
It works for me (tm)
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

see attached it may prove useful ?