1751805 Members
5082 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

How to enable crash dump in HPUX 11.31

yadushrimali
Occasional Contributor

How to enable crash dump in HPUX 11.31

Before starting KWDB in PERL mode, I want to set the correct q4 library path.

I found that Scripts are different for 11.23 and 11.31. On certain system the q4 library path is by default set to 11.23 library located at /opt/ktools/q4lib/11.23.

I want to set the Q4 library path according to v11.31 and also I want to modify startup script to set the library path according to the HP-UX v11.31 of the crashdump being debugged.

1. So how to do the above task?

2. Can anyone explain me What the “MFG mode” in the condole is?

please find attached screenshots for more info of system.

If u need more info then please let me know.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: How to enable crash dump in HPUX 11.31

I can't answer your other questions, but "mfg mode" is manufacturing mode on a GSP/MP/iLO - you wouldn't normally have access to it unlesss under direct supervision by a HP field engineer or the response centre.

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
yadushrimali
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your help Duncan!

Can you tell me one more thing, I want to create a crash dump for analysis, can u help me what steps I need to follow to create a crash dump in /var/adm/crash/... directory.

Thanks in advance !

Chirag Parikh
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

There are lots of forum answers are avaiable for this.

Find the below steps.

.1 /var/adm/crash/ is the default destination directory for dumps. If a directory is not specified in the boot-time dump configuration file, do so now.

/etc/rc.config.d/savecrash:

SAVECRASH_DIR=/var/adm/crash (or preferred location)

NOTE: If "/var: file system full" occurs during the dump save, dump uncompress or processing, you may need to free up space in /var or configure SAVECRASH_DIR= with a file system that can save all of the physical memory installed on the system. When done, run the savecrash command again:

# /sbin/savecrash -rvf <TARGET_DIRECTORY>

1.2 Determine if a recent crash.N (11.X) directory exists in the dump directory:

# ll /var/adm/crash/c* (dump directory)

NOTE: "N" increments with each new dump.

1.3 If the system dump is not at the expected path, try to save it using:

# savecrash -vr <directory>

If this results in "invalid dump header", a valid dump does not exist in the swap/dump device. (Swapping may have occurred)

1.4 /etc/shutdownlog and /var/adm/crash/c*/INDEX contain a useful crash "panic" statement. If shutdownlog does not exist:

# touch /etc/shutdownlog

Thanks & Regards,

Chirag Parikh