Operating System - Linux
1753427 Members
5009 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to install Redhat7.x 8.x 9.x on DL380G4 ?

yiping

How to install Redhat7.x 8.x 9.x on DL380G4 ?

Dear Sirs:

anybody install Redhat7.x 8.x 9.x on DL380G4 ?

plz reply, tks.
8 REPLIES 8
Alex Lavrov.
Honored Contributor

Hello,
personally I did not install it on Proliant servers, but I know several places that still run those versions (7 and 8) on those servers.

Why don't you try to install Fedora Core2/3? Redhat 7/8/9 are very outdated ...
I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way. (M. Twain)
yiping

tks sir.

'cause our system is on old Redhat platform, we need the OS on new machine.

that's why i ask this question.
Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor

I suggest you to take RHEL 2.1 instead of RH7.x and RHEL3.0 instead of RHL 9 - RHEL versions are supported on Proliants by HP & Red Hat.

99%% applications for RHL7.x will work on RHEL2.1, the same for RHL9 and RHEL3.0.

AFAIK, HP doesn't release source of their drivers for their RAID adapters, and I don't sure that "original" drivers from RHL will work with new controllers... :-(
Edmund White
Frequent Advisor

We still run Redhat 8 on our systems. Installation on a DL380G4 should be smooth, except that you'll need to use a driver disk to recognize the RAID controller (available at: http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/20182.html ) and temporarily install another PCI network card because the Redhat 8 system doesn't have the driver for the integrated Broadcom NICs. I use custom kernels, so once the system is booted, I just use a new linux 2.4.26 or 2.4.29 kernel and build the support for the devices I need into it. If you bring your Redhat 8 system up2date with all of the errata kernels, it should support the devices, too. I am disappointed that Redhat 8 support is so shotty now. I don't like RHEL 3 and 2.1 is a joke for our purposes. I'm starting to test the RHEL 4 now, and it's a bit better, but will require some getting used to.
Lee Bohan

I have tried this approach in trying to load RH9 on a DL380G4 and when I put the floppy in the drive it just tells me that there is no appropriate driver on it.

Anyone know a specific workaround for RH9?

Cheers,

Lee.
Gopi Sekar
Honored Contributor

the problem is DL380G4 contains Smart Arrat 6.2 the driver is available only from RHEL 3 Update 2 and upwards.

better would be to use Fedora Core 3 which is free.

If you really want to use only RH 9.0 then you may have to create your own driver diskettes for smart array controllers by downloading it from HP site
Never Never Never Giveup
Lee Bohan

I have to use RH9 in the short term on that system unfortunately but already have a planned upgrade to RHEL3 (or possibly 4).

Anyone know where I can find more info on creating my own driver boot diskettes for this please?

Cheers,

Lee.
HGN
Honored Contributor

Hi

If you get the message that the hard drive is not detected you need to do the following
You need the driver for the smart array controller(you need to download this from the hp site and create the floppies as per the instruction).
Make sure to check from the hp webpage what update version this will work,you need to have that particular release update to load the OS.
Once you have the drivers and os cd(with the correct update) start the load with the have floppy option which will prompt you to put the driver floppy upon reading it the hard drive will be sensed.

IMPORTANT You need to create the array before you even start the OS load which I think you are already aware.

Hope this helps

Rgds

HGN