Operating System - Linux
1752642 Members
5588 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to share filesystems btw Linux & Win 2k/Win '98?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Clarence J
Frequent Advisor

How to share filesystems btw Linux & Win 2k/Win '98?

Hi,

I have setup Linux RedHat 7.0. I want to share some files fr here to Win 2k & Win. '98 and vice-versa.

How do I go about this?

Any help appreciated!
15 REPLIES 15
Vincenzo Restuccia
Honored Contributor

Re: How to share filesystems btw Linux & Win 2k/Win '98?

Try with Samba.
Stefan Schulz
Honored Contributor

If you want to use your Linux box as a fileserver for Windows then use Samba.

Samba should be included in your RH distribution. Just install and set up to share some of your directories.

Your Windows boxes can access this shares from your Linux box like any other Windows share.

Also with the smbclient you can access files on the Windows boxes from your Linux box.

See www.samba.org for more information, documentation and FAQ's.

Hope this helps. Stefan
No Mouse found. System halted. Press Mousebutton to continue.
Clarence J
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the replies. They proved helpful.

I managed to configure the Linux box such that it can be seen on the Win NT Network Neighbourhood. I also added in my Linux box the IP-Addr of the PC that is going to access to Linux box.

However, when I tried to access my Linux box fr Win NT, I get the following message:

Incorrect password or unknow username for.
\\Lnxbox

When I click "OK" it pops up a login window. I used the CORRECT username for samba called smbuser and CORRECT password. It then popped up with the following window:

\\Lnxbox is not accessible
The account is not authorized to login from this station.

How do I resolve this?

All help appreciated!!
D. Engelen

Hi,

I only know how to vica:

Use fdisk to identify the partitons.

# fdisk (command p, (m for help))

Then mount the partition to a new directory:

# mkdir /mnt/win98
# mount -t msdos /dev/hda3 /mnt/win98

Managing UNIX
Clarence J
Frequent Advisor

Is this used for placing data files created under Windows env?
Andrew Cowan
Honored Contributor

Check which version of Samba you are using!

There was some talk of Microsoft deliberately changing the authentication method used in Win-2k. I have used RH7 to Win-98 with very few problems. All you have to do is to login to Windows using the same username and password as you configured in Samba, then set a registry setting in Win-98 to tell it to encrypt the password in a way that Windows expects. See www.samba.org and www.redhat.com. for details.

Iv'e not tried the latest versions but the version I had clearly said that the way Win-2k sent the password to Samba has been deliberately change to stop it working. Microsoft call this a feature!
Stefan Schulz
Honored Contributor

Hi,

this login problem with your NT box has something to do with the crypted/uncrypted password handling. As far as i remember you have to set the global option "encrypt passwords" to yes.

Have a look at the following link:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/indexpdf.html

This freewarebook has a good description of this Windows NT password problem.

Hope this helps. Stefan
No Mouse found. System halted. Press Mousebutton to continue.
Jeroen_D
Regular Advisor
Solution

Hi,

Win98 and Win2k both send passwords encrypted. Samba distributions come with some .reg-files to alter that to unencrypted. There is no reason to use those registry adjustments unless the majority of your network is Win95 (only OSR2 uses encrypted passwords).

The problem you have is access being denied. The user on Win2k/Win98 must be known on your linuxbox. The user may be disabled (a * in your /etc/passwd (or in the case of RH linux in the shadow password file), so the user just has to exist. If you use encrypted passwords, then you will have to create a smbpasswd file which contains that encrypted passwd. All this can be read in the O'Reilly book.

To make it somewhat easier for you : with win2k you can use (in Samba, use swat : http://lnxbox:901) security setting : SERVER and password server %m.
This means that the authentication will be verified by the PC itself. The user must still exist on Linux !

If the above fails and you want quick access without reading manuals, you can also enable the guest account. Make sure this account also exists on linux. Use swat to set guest account to ok and check the various shares for guest account setting allowed. In the globals part of swat, you will also see : map to guest : bad password, bad user, never. Experiment a bit with that.

RH 7.0 has Samba 2.0.6 I think and this revision (in contrast to 2.0.4b) does not really have problems with win2k.

pff...lots of typing, hope it helps you.

Jeroen.

Hi
I had same problem yesterday. My NT box can see the linux but not 98.
Here is a fix for 98 box.

in your smb.conf file you need
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
Then in you linux box as root type
smbpasswd -a username. then enter passwd

In your 98 start-run-regedit
double click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
locate the /HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/Vxd/VNETSUP
From Menu edit/New/DWROD value
Rename the entry to EnablePlainTextPassword
Double click on "enableplaintextpassword" set value to 1.
reboot your 98 box.
on your linux /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart

It should work.

Sachin