Operating System - OpenVMS
1753672 Members
5913 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to switch an Alpha Personal Workstation 500 stuck in AlphaBIOS back to SRM console,no VGA ou

Artlace
Occasional Visitor

Re: How to switch an Alpha Personal Workstation 500 stuck in AlphaBIOS back to SRM console,no VGA ou

Hi,

I am totally new to the forum but I have the same issue with my PWS 433a.

I have exactly the same symptoms: no VGA output, self-test is passed properly, nothing on (either) serial console with or-without null-modem cable (or straight cable) at any baud. I tried 9600-8N1 first.

However, keyboard if connected gets initialized and caps lock, num lock leds work (or is it just the keyboard controller doing  its job?). The machine complains if it doesn't get memory (after removal) with the documented 1-3-3 beeps.

The machine also responds to password reset, it beeps twice (long, short) and flashes all 8 LEDs.

Also all diagnostic LEDs go out at the end of POST but one. Right now the code reads "04" which is the second LED from the left at the bottom row. I found no information about this one either.

I tried removing all devices even the cache memory to no avail. 

Checked the clock switches which are properly configured for a 433a. As a last resort replaced the battery too.

Is this a known problem? Was there any resolution at the end? Should I accept that this one is dead too or is it just stuck in AlphaBIOS?

Thank you in advance

Artlace
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

Just for future reference, I got another CPU board for the PWS433a but it has exactly the same problem. While I don't think this was a known issue or a regular fault, I opted in to replace the riser board too.

Since the riser board contains some PCI logic that still be at fault. It's possible that the ARC/SRM simply believes to have VGA output but it never gets that far - hence no serial output either.

Artlace
Occasional Visitor

For future reference again:

After replacing the riser board the system came to life. Obviously either the board itself is faulty or one of the FPGA-s or ASIC-s simply gave up.

It did solve the issue for me, I have now VGA/Serial output. I have problem with the CD-ROM now but that's a whole different cup of tea, now I have the chance to debug anything.

Regards,

Artur